Help! Ideas For Ocean Cake

Decorating By chickeymonkey25 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 2:25am by seasonsmoke

chickeymonkey25 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #1 of 9

I'm making my son's first birthday cake and it's going to be a sea/ocean theme. I want everything to be edible. I need help with how to make a variety of fish. I know about the goldfish crackers and candy molds but i'm trying to make another type. One bigger than the crackers but smaller than the molds. Cookie cutters i've seen are too big and chocolate transfers are too flat. PLEASE HELP! I dont want to screw this up. thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
7yyrt Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 9

You might try fondant, and create them the size you want. Here's one of the fondant recipes from the recipe box (you will probably not need to use all of the powdered sugar). You use it just like Playdough. - http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html
This is rolled buttercream - http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant-Alternative.html

You can pipe them using buttercream or Royal - even melted candy melts. Fruit rollups can be cut with scissors and used like a mosaic to make fish.
-
If you can give us an idea of your skill level, we can probably help you a little more.
I doubt you will mess it up, after all you care enough to ask questions.

aztomcat Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 9

I agree!!! fondant is really easy to work with. And you probably can hand shape your fish without cutters. then add details fins, scales etc with the tip of a knife.

I one made an ocean cake for my son and used the wonder mold pan to create a whale on top of the ocean .....added a tail and fins and other fishes etc around the cake. it was fun for the kids.

JenniferMI Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 9

Yup, I would hand cut them out of fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

sparklynne Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 9

I have found some really nice flexible push molds in the baking clay section of our local craft store that work great for this. Matter of fact in my pictures there is an example of them on my cupcakes that are all ocean under the sea themed. The only exception is the stingray shark cupcake. That I created free hand. Good luck to you icon_smile.gif

chickeymonkey25 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 9

thanks for all the tips...i'm pretty new to this, completely self-taught. I think i'm going to look for some molds in the clay section like you suggested. otherwise i'll try the fondant. i still have 2 weeks until the party so if you think of anything else let me know...thanks again icon_smile.gif

saramachen Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 9

Sparklynne - I LOVE LOVE LOVE your under the sea cupcakes.. i mean LOVE! I have a saltwater fish tank at home and even a clownfish tattoo... love all things fish and your cupcakes are AWESOME!

sparklynne Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 9

Aww thank you saramachen! icon_redface.gif They were a first time thing for me and the child that had requested them was really happy. I appreciate the great feedback.
Chickeymonkey25, good luck to you on your endeavor icon_smile.gif

seasonsmoke Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #9 of 9

You could try drawing the fish on the cake. You could copy pictures out of coloring books. Then just add more frosting where you want depth.

You mentioned candy molds. You could have a few lollipop fish to give the cake a different look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%