sayhellojana Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:00am
post #1 of

I made a buttercream with cooked sugar/water and butter. I've used the recipe before with awesome results. It did not thicken this time, and I' fairly sure it's because I didnt cook the sugar long enough so there was still too much water in the syrup.
I need this to taste good, so I dont want to add a huge amount of powdered sugar and make it overly sweet and stale tasting. Will adding a ton more butter help? Im refridgerating it right now, hoping that will help it firm up.
I'm very new to cake decorating, btw, so any and all tips are appreciated.

8 replies
sayhellojana Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #2 of

I fixed it with powdered sugar. It didn't take nearly as much as I had thought, so the flavor wasn't effected, whoo! I would still love any tips.
Thanks
icon_smile.gif

liapsim Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of

Meringue powder always helps me out!

GenGen Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #4 of

sounds like an interesting recipie icon_smile.gif do share?

oh and pics of course when your done icon_smile.gif

bethyboop Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of

i too would be interested in knowing what recipe you use.

stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:02am
post #6 of

refrigeration always helps me out when this happens. Also sometimes using the paddle attachment when rewhipping helps rather than the whip attachment too.

sayhellojana Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 10:03pm
post #7 of

the recipie is on Food Network.com
Here is the link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/classic-vanilla-buttercream-recipe/index.html
I put a pic up earlier today. It's a coconut cake, so I substituted coconut for the vanilla. Really good icon_smile.gif

dawncr Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #8 of

Recipe looks a bit like an IMBC (Italian Meringue ButterCream).

I'm no expert, but I've had it turn runny on me once. I think I added the butter too early, before the meringue had cooled enough. I've read that refrigerating the runny mixture, then re-whipping the heck out of it can repair it, but I couldn't get that to work for me.

How much powdered sugar did it take? Just wondering for future reference, in case I have a runny batch again.

sayhellojana Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:49am
post #9 of

It took much less than I thought. I'm guessing about 1/4 cup or less. It didn't effect the taste at all, that goodness

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%