Edible Image

Decorating By harrisonsmama Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm by vickymacd

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 13

I need an edible image by next friday. who is the best, cheapest and fastest on-line? I have several images that i need rather small to go on a 3-d plane.

Thanks

12 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:48am
post #2 of 13

The fastest place for me is the local grocery store bakery. They have done it while I wait or in one day. The cost for an 8.5 x 11 has been between 7 and 12 dollars depending on the store. If I have a bunch of small pics, I fill up a page and cut them out later.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 13

aztomcat~ you mentioned keeping the other pics for later....
how long can you keep edible images that are NOT being used and how do you store them ?

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

aztomcat~ you mentioned keeping the other pics for later....
how long can you keep edible images that are NOT being used and how do you store them ?

You can keep them in a ziploc bag--they usually will come in some form of one. Keep it in a cool place--no need to put in the fridge. I have my own printer, so I do a lot of little images and save them for later. icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 13

missyek~ thanks for the info, but I swore when I got them made at the grocery store, it says something about only for a couple of days. Can you freeze them maybe?

Also, this is a stupid question, but it is better to use edibles on fondant or buttercreme? I've only used edibles once, and that was a year ago.
Thanks again

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

missyek~ thanks for the info, but I swore when I got them made at the grocery store, it says something about only for a couple of days. Can you freeze them maybe?

Also, this is a stupid question, but it is better to use edibles on fondant or buttercreme? I've only used edibles once, and that was a year ago.
Thanks again

Hmmmm. Maybe the standard cover their butt lines? icon_lol.gif I just go by what kopykake says which is if I print it ahead of time, I can just store it back in the ziploc. I think you can actually damage the sheets if you freeze them, but I really don't know.

I use the edible images on BC, fondant and gumpaste. Works fine with either! With fondant and gum paste, you need to get the surfacea little damp first to have the image stick. You would have to do the same with BC if you have let it crust over.

HTH!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #7 of 13

They can keep for a while as long as they are closed in a ziplock. Too much exposure to air and it dries an cracks. Would not recommend refrigeration, since it will sweat and mess up the ink.

I've used them both on BC and fondant. I sometimes mist the back of the image with water before attaching. Here's an example of cutouts I did with mutiple pics of my daughter, the mist helped me stick the edges down.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1230278

vickymacd Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:43am
post #8 of 13

Thanks everyone for the info. I was so scared the first time I used them. Now I won't be so afraid if I do this again which I have to for this weekend.

aztomcat~ beautiful cake! Bet she loved it!!

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:56am
post #9 of 13

no grocery stores in my area will let you purchase just the image. I have tried all of them. You are very lucky that your store lets you do that.

vickymacd Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:21pm
post #10 of 13

liha21~ what do you mean about 'just purchasing the image'?

I just take what I want printed on edible image and they do it. Has something changed since I did this last year?

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 13

We have a Kroger and a Harris Teeter in our area and they both will print an edible image for you. Kroger only charges 5.00 and Harris Teeter charges 7.00. They both do say to use the image within 2 days. Not sure why because I also make my own images (when my printer isn't clogged) and I store them in a ziploc bag in a cool place for long periods of time with no problem at all. Matter of fact the Kopykake frosting sheets will last well over a year if stored correctly. Interesting....

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 13

so how do you bring the images to them? I have several and am not very good with the computer. I need about 8 very small to fit on a 3-d airplane.

how do i get my images so small?

vickymacd Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 13

Either do it on your computer resizing them or go to your printer place and they will do a color copy for you. Put all your images on one sheet or however you want them for cost effective sake, and have them print you out a sheet. then take that sheet to your grocery store for the edible image.

Thanks for the tips on how long it may last!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%