Am I Being Unreasonable?

Business By sugarcheryl Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 12:32am by fluttercakes

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 8

I had a delivery that was 44 miles round trip and I had to do this twice for an event. Plus tolls I charged $l.25 per mile? I kind of feel guilty I guess it's for a friend. I did charge less for the pastries and cookies compared to other area. I did realize how many miles it was till I map quest the direction. I usually do not charge delivery because I like what I do but I know my husband doesn't like it especially when I use his vehicle. Besides I need gas money.

7 replies
MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 8

I've missed your question. Could you repost your question of what you believe you may have been unreasonable about?

sugarcheryl Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 8

I was wondering what I charge was unreasonable $1.25 per mile?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 8

That more than reasonable.. with gas prices what they are it's very reasonable.

I charge delivery too.. $2.50 per mile one way (so it's the same as you charged really). Don't feel guilty about it. You need to cover your costs.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 8

I don't think so. I think most if not all people would be understanding about the charging a fee for extra mileage. It also shows your husband that you respect him by giving a little money to the collective family fund for the use of his vehicle.

Let's say he wasn't your hubby but another friend whose car you borrowed. You'd give your friend a little $$ for letting you borrow their car, right?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 8

$1.25 a round trip mile and here's the thread that explains why:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-598555-1.html+25

It's business, not personal, and it has nothing to do with friendship or being liked or being afraid that the other person will "feel bad" about you charging for this very valuable service.

If they don't want to pay it, they can spend their gas and their time and their wear and tear to come and get it.

sugarcheryl Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all. I do not know why it's hard to charge people for what we do at least for me and yet we will pay someone else for there service. icon_smile.gif

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #8 of 8

I have free delivery within a twenty mile radius, then it's $1.50/mile one-way...but I might up it to $1.75 in the near future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%