Huge Disaster! Cake On Floor...burned Fingers...

Decorating By fluttercakes Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 3:19pm by Bettycrockermommy

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 13

Well, I was hoping to never have to post on this section of the forum, but I am in the middle of my first major disaster! Okay, I posted a little thread yesterday about a cake that is due today (in less then five hours now), and one of my pieces was too big. I woke up today and decided to remake the gumpaste piece (it's a well) in the right portions and use my polymer clay oven to speed dry the piece. Well, that worked out just fine...it's actually almost dry right now!

Ah, but that's where the good stuff ends...I burned my fingers yesterday on some hot melted sugar, so I can't quite do the intricate stuff I need to, but I'm managing. Anyways, I was airbrushing the waterfall of the cake, but the area that I had to work in was too small for my turntable to turn completely around, so I was picking the cake up and moving it. That was working just fine until the board that I had up to protect my wall from the airbrush color came crashing down on the cake while I was holding it. I tried to save it, but the cake landed on the floor upside down icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I screamed, my DH came running, I started crying like a banshee, and started to shake because I was so upset! DH did a wonderful job calming me down, but I still had to remake the cake. I sent him out for more buttermilk (it's a red velvet cake, and I ran out on Thursday when I first baked the cake). I spent the next 30 minutes while I was mixing up the new batter begging to understand what I had done wrong to deserve such punishment! DH kept repeating that I did nothing wrong, and these things happen...yeah, but why all at the same time?!?!? Now, I'm scared as what else can go wrong! Thank goodness I had everything else done...I just need to decorate the cake!

Now, the cake it almost fully baked, but I am going to have to flash cool it, so that I can get it decorated before I need to leave to deliver it at 4pm today! Oh, please, oh please, let me get this cake done and delivered in one piece! Please no more! I don't need two mental breakdowns in one day! Sigh...

I'll update later on after delivery to let y'all know how it turned out. Pray for me thumbs_up.gif

BTW, this isn't a cheap cake either...the lady has paid me in full $230 plus delivery fees for this 40th birthday cake! I cannot not deliver! It's not even an option! Eek!

~Stacie

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 13

The good part .... you had the rest of the cake done and only had to re-do one small part of it. You had a hubby at home who was willing to run to the store and get what you need for you. You probably have some pretty pink floor tiles in the kitchen, now, from a smashed red velvet cake! (Ok, I just threw that last one in!)

In 5 hours, you will be done with this cake and you can kick back and celebrate with my best friend in times like this, Robert Mondavi, that you made it and survived it!!

Don't forget to post the pics!! thumbs_up.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #3 of 13

Oh, you poor thing! I've had bad days, but nothing quite this bad! Good for hubby for being calming and supportive; mine cannot handle any type of emotion, so he just checks out and disappears when I'm upset. Hope things turn around for you! Once youget this puppy delivered take someof that money and go out for drinks or a really decadent dessert, or both!!

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 13

I'm so sorry! I can only imagine your panic. I always breathe a sigh of relief when I have safely delivered a cake, always afraid I'll trip over my own feet and drop the thing -- and I only do this as a hobby/sideline.

Hope it turned out well.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 13

Oh... (((((((((((cake hugs)))))))))))
I hope all turns out well! I'm sure you'll pull it off and it will be great! Please post pics for us to see icon_smile.gif

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 13

If I lived nearby I would rush right over to help you. Just take a deep breathe. You will get it done and you will be so proud of yourself. Hey it may even turn out better than the first one. Let us know how it goes!!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 13

Sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way! Please post a picture of the cake for us to admire as you've literarily shed tears and shed blood over it.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 13

Oh honey!! I am so sorry that this has all happened to you at once - I swear it never fails to just be one disaster they all have to strike at once to ensure a complete and total meltdown! BUT!! You sound like you got through it and I am sending you good cake vibes to get through the rest of baking and delivery etc....

Post the pics!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 13

Hugs for you icon_sad.gif Just keep saying, it's almost over, it's almost over. When you get home from delivery, meet my friend Cap'n Morgan. icon_wink.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

I thought I would check back with you to see how things went? We would love to see your great pictures.

-Debbie B.

fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:19pm
post #11 of 13

Sorry it took me so long to post, but I survived! The cake was a huge hit, and when I walked into the room where the party was being held (it was in a hotel)...I got a lot of happy faces! The customer was extremely happy as well, and she swore that she would spread the word about me and my bakery. I was so relieved! When we were leaving, my DH said "Now don't you feel better?'...the answer was a simple 'Yes!'

I had to simplify the cake a bit because I was just plain running out of time, so the border isn't like I planned, the grass isn't as detailed as I wanted it, and the piped wheat on the side isn't as detailed as it could have been if I had the proper amount of time. The cake turned out pretty well though considering all that had happened! So, I am truly grateful! I kept telling my DH as he was driving me to the hotel for the delivery that I couldn't thank him enough for helping me out and sticking by me the whole time I decorated that cake. He was actually going to go to work that day to catch up on some things that he couldn't get to during the week, but he stayed with me instead (he went the next day, so he's all good icon_razz.gif)! It's things like that that just remind me at how much he loves me...aww, sappy moment!

Anyhoo...here's the cake, it's not something I would personally like, and it's too busy IMHO...but this is what she wanted! BTW, don't do a 'cotton candy' leaf tree with humidity in the air! By the time the cake arrived to the venue, the leaves looked like sugary cobwebs...the customer still thought it was neat though. Thank goodness that drama is over, and my fingers are pretty much healed thumbs_up.gif
LL

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 1:27pm
post #12 of 13

I can see why she was so happy! I LOVE the water! Nice recovery, and I'm glad your fingers are better icon_smile.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 13

Okay, that is a cool cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%