Ok So I Was Watching Ace Of Cakes Last Thursday...

Decorating By Jayde Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm by julzs71

Jayde Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 7

And I seem to remember a post awhile ago about Duff's Hogwarts castle and how he did the texture on the trees. He explained that for a mosslike texture, or a tree-like texture, that he uses royal icing. He spreads it flat on a board or cookie sheet, and lets it dry. Once its dry he scraped it off and chopped it up really fine. He painted some piping gel on the fondant covered cake, and then just stuck the fine RI to it.

He did this for the Kung Fu Panda cake, it was the moss on the mountains. It looked really awesome and realistic! Just thought I would share.

6 replies
tuffstuff Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 7

I agree that was a cool idea. How do people come up with this stuff?
I must say, I was put-off by the lack of actual cake in that "cake". icon_confused.gif Especially the fact that the heads of some of the characters were made with Fimo clay. It looked amazing though.

mamacc Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 7

I love this idea!! I figured it was just dried royal icing when I first saw them using it on the hogwarts castle cake. I'm glad he elaborated on it! I'm going to try it next time I need grass or something like that.

Wendoger Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah no kiddin'! It looked like the really fine moss that grows on rocks, etc in the woods. Which we have tons of here in rainy WA icon_wink.gif
I loved that idea and will definately try it next time I need moss on a hill or something.

Tona Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 7

I love the look. Thanks for sharing.

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 7

Great idea.
I am goona have to try it.

julzs71 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 7

I loved that cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%