My First Wedding Cake And Diaster Struck

Decorating By titch Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 8:48am by titch

titch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 11

I made my first wedding cake and delivered it yesterday after having been up till 3am the night before, I decorated the anniversary cake for the mother of the bride, before I set off for delivery.

I get to the venue and set up, i have never been so nervous, I explain to the catering lady what my cakes are and because they are covered in chocolate curls, she says that she will put them into the chiller later, before they are cut. I also make sure that I have my contract SIGNED (thanks CC), by the wedding planner before I leave. So after feeling very pleased with myself, I call the wedding planner today, to ask how the day went and if she knew when the bride and groom will be back at the venue to collect and tidy up the venue.

Well here is diaster struck, I made 3 cakes, one chocolate (for the brides parents), one 14'' lemon and one 6'' vanilla, these are all covered in fondant before they are then covered in chocoalte curls, the bride provided me with brownies that she wanted, (so having never eaten brownies before, but I"m told they need to keep cold), I wait until the last minute to decorate these and keep them cold. Well the wedding planner tells me today that the brownies were unuseable because they turned into mush, icon_redface.gif so I told her that I was sorry that had happened but I couldnt take responsibilty for them, as I didnt make them (plus my contract was signed before I left). Once I had explained the situation the wedding planner was ok, the wedding planner had pointed out that becuase the wedding cake was sitting in full frontal view for everyone to see, it could hardly be not put out before cutting.

I feel really bad as I so wanted this to go right, and I will now never decorate someone's else food.

Sorry it's been so long
Rach

I felt so guilty that i have offered the bride 20% off her next order, she didnt mind as she hadnt even noticed, (she was far to drunk!! LOL!).
LL
LL

10 replies
psurrette Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 11

The cakes are very pretty and you did a great job! I dont understand what the disaster was. THe brownies werent your fault. Is it because the cake wasnt out for people to see? Were the cakes ok?

jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 11

Your cakes are very pretty. don't fret over any of this. You did everything right.
Over the years I have had people ask if they bake the cake will I decorate it, or can I buy some of your icing to do my own decorating. The answer I have always given is a polite "no" for the very reason that you went through. They can always "buy my icing" as long as its on a cake I baked and decorated! icon_lol.gif

Jibbies

Dee1219 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 11

Thank God for alcohol at weddings!! You were very wise to have your contract signed! Good job!! I LOVE the cake WOW!!

jl5949 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 11

First things first, the cakes are beautiful and so is the display.

The question I have is what went wrong... did something happen to the cake? Was the event inside? If it was just the brownies that was an issue, like you said you can't take responsibility, you didn't make them.
Did something happen to your cake?

A quick suggestion is that in your contract you stipulate that no other bakegoods are to be brought in with your cakes. This way when they are terrible, no guests will assume that you made them... Remember, it's your reputation.

From what I've read, you don't have anything to be guilty about. Sounds to me that the disaster was not your fault.

titch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 11

Thanx guys, sorry if I got confusing, the disaster was that the brownies couldnt be eaten because they went to mush, I was mortified icon_cry.gif when I was told, that they had to be thrown away and that they wedding planner was not happy with me, until I explained myself and told her that the bride had brought them to me for decoration only. She then told me that it wasnt my fault then, but me being me, I'm glad I stuck up for myself, but I still wanted it all to be perfect especially since it was my first time.

I will have to say lesson's were learned in this one and the wedding planner is hopefully going to send potenial clients my way.

akgirl10 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #7 of 11

Ack, the only disaster is that you offered a discount! At least it was off a future order. You did nothing wrong, and your cakes are amazing, just beautiful.

PinkZiab Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:47am
post #8 of 11

The biggest lesson to be learned here is NEVER allow a product that you didn't have 100% involvement in to be associated with your name/reputation. Had the wedding planner not confronted you about this, she may have smeared you name down the line with countless potential customers. If a customer wants decorated brownies, quote them a price for brownies YOU bake! Easy mistake to make, but be careful not to do this again in the future!

titch Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:52am
post #9 of 11

I totally agree, I have really learned my lesson here, I'm actually glad that I called the wedding planner, as I reckon if I hadnt I may never have been told about the brownies and your right my name would have been smeared to many potential clients. I spoke with the bride and she was very happy, apparantly all the guests were raving about my cakes that they had, and she will be ordering from me in the future.

mclaren Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 6:57am
post #10 of 11

i actually see 5 cakes here, 1 dark choc covered cake, & 4 presumably white choc curls covered cakes.

where is the cake you decorated with the brownies (that later turned mushy) provided by the bride?

titch Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:48am
post #11 of 11

The brown cake was an anniversary cake for the mother of the bride, the two brownies were part of the wedding cake, they are the middle two, (in the four tier) I covered them with the chocolate curls to make it part of the wedding cake. The brownies were ok when I left them at 3pm, but because they didnt get cut until 6pm they went to mush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%