French Vanilla Flavoring- Where Do You Get Yours??

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm by doughdough

foxymomma521 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 13

Ugh! I have looked and looked, and I can't find bulk sizes of french vanilla flavoring anywhere! I have been using McCormick's 1oz bottle, but it's like $5 and I use it up with 2 cakes! Can someone tell me please where to find it? The only thing I can find online is the Torani Syrup, and I would really prefer to use an extract or blend of some sort. Thanks for your help icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 13

go to Spicesetc.com
they have it.

Jibbies

MamaBerry Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 13
HerBoudoir Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 13

What is French Vanilla flavoring vs. regular vanilla?

I know French Vanilla ice cream is more of a custard-base (lots of eggs) vs. regular vanilla ice cream.

MamaBerry Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

What is French Vanilla flavoring vs. regular vanilla?

I know French Vanilla ice cream is more of a custard-base (lots of eggs) vs. regular vanilla ice cream.

I took the quote below form this website-- http://community.bettycrocker.com/forums/t/1471.aspx

As far as I know they are the same.Extracts are more likely to have a bit of the natural flavoring where as a flavoring is more a man made flavor.You can also use barista syrups to flavor baking items.Barista syrups are those falvorings you put in coffee,lattes,tea etc.

I think it doesn't take much effort to turn your box/bottle around to really see the ingredients. Anything that says vanillin is NOT true vanilla. It's not too hard to buy real vanilla extract or a natural edible vanilla oil. I don't see the need to ever use vanillin.

HerBoudoir Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 13

Ahh thank you - so it's basically just a version of imitation vanilla.

I mostly use vanilla beans (cheap to buy off ebay and the internet) and I am in the process of brewing my own vanilla extract. Meanwhile, I'm using up some Trader Joe's Madagascar Bourbon vanilla and a Neilsen Massey Mexican vanilla that I have.

foxymomma521 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 13

I'm not sure where you were going with your "much effort" comment, or why a rude response was posted to this thread. I don't use artificial flavorings, aside from almond for someone with a nut allergy. I honestly had no idea vanillin was an ingredient, it usually leaves a funky taste in my mouth, but this doesn't.

WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ALCOHOL( 16 %), VANILLA EXTRACT, VANILLIN, CARAMEL COLOR, AND NATURAL FLAVOR.

Seriously, I wasn't asking for opinions, I was just asking where to buy it. It seems every thread lately gets an *I'm better than you because I do this* tone to it thumbsdown.gif

MamaBerry Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I'm not sure where you were going with your "much effort" comment, or why a rude response was posted to this thread. I don't use artificial flavorings, aside from almond for someone with a nut allergy. I honestly had no idea vanillin was an ingredient, it usually leaves a funky taste in my mouth, but this doesn't.

WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ALCOHOL( 16 %), VANILLA EXTRACT, VANILLIN, CARAMEL COLOR, AND NATURAL FLAVOR.

Seriously, I wasn't asking for opinions, I was just asking where to buy it. It seems every thread lately gets an *I'm better than you because I do this* tone to it thumbsdown.gif

I'm truly sorry. I honestly didn't mean to sound rude. I sincerely apologize.

foxymomma521 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 13

We're good MammaBerry thumbs_up.gif Your post aside, I just feel like there's extra "cattyness" (sp?) here lately... thumbsdown.gif

MamaBerry Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 13

Well, Ms. Foxymomma, I'm glad to know that the smoke has cleared. I hate pissing anyone off and I don't like to hurt anyone. About the cattiness I wouldn't know since I haven't really been here for about a year. I just came back a week ago.

During the time I was gone I was upping my skills, since they desperately needed some "upping". LOL!

I'd like to try my hand at making my own vanilla extract. I think it will give my family something to chuckle about since they call me the black Martha Stewart since I'm always doing everything from scratch. icon_biggrin.gif

(P.S. I choose not to erase my previous post because I figure it gives reference to your comment for future eyes and allows others to see how to dissolve a disagreement--with butt kissin'. LOL)

thumbs_up.gif

SandyLemke Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 13

Pretty sure you can buy Watkins vanilla by the gallon. I've never needed to, never will. Nice to know you can though. I buy it and I buy their white (clear) version too. It's easy to find someone off the internet who sells it.

What is considered the best vanilla? Homemade?

HerBoudoir Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 13

Threads will take on a life of their own no matter where they start icon_smile.gif. I was actually truly curious because I've not heard of french vanilla extract, and was wondering what the difference between "regular" vanilla extract was. Sorry if you found that out of line. The only context that I've heard the term "french vanilla" used is in a recipe that has a lot of egg yolks for a more custard-y rich base (yum).

As far as what the "best" vanilla to use is - the only real answer to that is "whatever YOU like best". Taste is pretty subjective, and the best way to figure it out is to try a couple different brands and see what you think.

Regarding making your own extracts...going to take that to another thread icon_smile.gif

doughdough Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 13

I just recently started using Watkins and love it. There is a lady who has a kiosk at our mall, so it's very acccessable here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%