How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By Justbeck101 Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm by FromScratch

Justbeck101 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 7

I am sorry for the repost, I somehow missed the picture in the first one.

This is a 6 and 10 round with WASC cake on the bottom with strawberry butter cream filling and darn good chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling on the top. The decorations are gum paste and fondant.

I know I should charge for my cakes, but when I am giving them away I do a great job. But when I am charging for them I get so nervous it turns our mediocre.

I did not charge for this cake, but the lady did give me the cost of ingredients. She is a friend of mine and I told her that I would do the cakes for free because I need the practice.

Please tell me what you would charge for this cake, without giving thought to what area you are in.

Thank you

6 replies
FromScratch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 7

I would have charged $5/serving for the cake and $40 for the bows.. a 6 and a 10 would be 45 servings so $265.00. icon_biggrin.gif

FrostinGal Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 7

ITA, $250-300 for this cake. Very cute, I might add!

Justbeck101 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 7

Well, I guess I was way off.... I thought $125 was way too high! lol. Sometimes I feel so guilty charging someone so much for cake because it seems to me that the whole party should only cost $125!!! Not just the cake!!! hahahahaha.
I guess I need to get over that.

Justbeck101 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Mung Dahl: "A good chef must listen to his gut. What does your gut say?"
Chowder: "My gut, eh?"
lifts up his shirt.. his gut says.. "CAAAAAAKE!!"

It is so sad and hilarious at the same time that I know what this is!!!!

FrostinGal Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:36am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbeck101

Well, I guess I was way off.... I thought $125 was way too high! lol. Sometimes I feel so guilty charging someone so much for cake because it seems to me that the whole party should only cost $125!!! Not just the cake!!! hahahahaha.
I guess I need to get over that.

Yeah, just get over it. icon_wink.gif These aren't the birthday parties we grew up with!
As a parent, I can tell you that a birthday party is going to set me back $600, easy. DD's sweet sixteen was over $8k. icon_eek.gif
And $600 is a home party. Partyware, cake, decorations, food, invitations, it all adds up!
Take the party somewhere else, like an amusement park or outing, well, you just up the ante.
Thank goodness my kids' birthdays are a month apart. Party in June, recover July, party in August, recover in Sept, party in October.
If they are coming to you for cake, they are planning a party.

FromScratch Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 7

LOL.. nah not sad.. Chowder is funny! :winkL

And yes.. get over it. You can't think of it in terms of what you would pay.. but what you are worth. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%