Wilton Silver Muffin Cups

Decorating By chutzpah Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm by Bossy

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:32am
post #1 of 17

I have never used the silver cups before, and have a cupcake wedding in a couple of weeks. It seems that they are made up of two parts, a paper liner and a metal one. Do I put the paper liner in a muffin pan, bake it, and then cupcake in the metal one after baking? Or bake the whole thing?

TIA!

16 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:47am
post #2 of 17

I always bake them with both the silver and the paper. The paper liner seems pretty thin to use alone.

Another tip for wedding cupcakes. I always spray my liners with cooking spray before filling with batter to help the cupcake come out easily.

Dee

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:41am
post #3 of 17

I did a cupcake tower for a weding last week. I seperated the cupcake liners. I baked in the plain liners (inserted into a cupcake pan) & after the cupcakes were cool, I placed them in the silver liner & then decorated. This way there is no way of the outer liner getting messy from raw or baked cupcake mixture.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:42am
post #4 of 17

I did a cupcake tower for a weding last week. I seperated the cupcake liners. I baked in the plain liners (inserted into a cupcake pan) & after the cupcakes were cool, I placed them in the silver liner & then decorated. This way there is no way of the outer liner getting messy from raw or baked cupcake mixture.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:24am
post #5 of 17

You don't need a muffin tin. I just put about 2 dozen on a cookie sheet (with both liners together), fill them and bake them. They keep their shape really nicely.

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 17

I just watched my BIL eat the inside paper lining with the cupcake, he thought the silver was the lining. I found them difficult to work with. I don't think I'll use them again.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:47am
post #7 of 17

I just thought that the paper liners were for packaging purposes. I always separate them and bake in the silver lining. I recently made cupcakes like this and it worked out fine in just the silver lining.

HTH

chutzpah Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:16am
post #8 of 17

Oh boy. I wasn't expecting so many different answers! I purchased extra cups, so I guess I'll open a package and try different ways.

Thanks everyone!

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:40am
post #9 of 17

On the packages that I have bought from the grocery store, they say that the liners are NOT to be used (Metal pieces or something). Just line the silver cups on a cookie sheet and bake. They are so easy...no messes.

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 17

blue123, so what your saying is don't use the paper liner , throw that out and use just the silver? I'm just wondering why the paper liner would be there then? I'm confused

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 17

I use the paper liner, BUT I look at each one because sometimes you do get metal flakes in them. I just throw those ones out. I would think if you baked right in the metal you would have more flakes. Does this make sense, or am I just a flake icon_biggrin.gif ?
I just looked at the packaging on mine and it doesn't say anything about not using the paper liners icon_confused.gif . Maybe each brand has their own guidelines.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

I use the paper liner, BUT I look at each one because sometimes you do get metal flakes in them. I just throw those ones out. I would think if you baked right in the metal you would have more flakes. Does this make sense, or am I just a flake icon_biggrin.gif ?
I just looked at the packaging on mine and it doesn't say anything about not using the paper liners icon_confused.gif . Maybe each brand has their own guidelines.

I'm pretty sure the brand name is Reynolds. I purchase them at Wa-Mart and our grocery store. Sorry guys, that's all I know. Those are the only kind available down here. Maybe they just say that on the package so that we will have to buy more liners icon_rolleyes.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 2:10pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by delisa01

I just thought that the paper liners were for packaging purposes. I always separate them and bake in the silver lining. I recently made cupcakes like this and it worked out fine in just the silver lining.

HTH

Ditto!

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 17

The Reynolds aluminum cupcake wrappers are all I ever use. I have never used the paper cups they are packed with. They are there to make it easier to seperate the cups quickly without damaging the foil cups. I love these cups. They keep my cupcakes super moist and I find that if I ever have left overs that I need to freeze for my kiddos they preserve the cupcakes wonderfully and keep their moisture. Good Luck with your experimenting! icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:41pm
post #15 of 17

I had the Wilton silver cups, so I did the smart thing and called Wilton customer service.

The gal I talked to said to bake the cakes in the paper/metal liner, just as they were.

I also tried to bake a cuppy in the liner just on a cookie sheet and it spread out, so I put the rest in muffin pans.

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #16 of 17

I use the Wilton ones (although I used gold, not silver) and separated out the paper lines. I used the paper ones for muffins a few days later. The foils were great - quick, held their shape, etc.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm
post #17 of 17

I thought the metal cups were there so that you did not need a cupcake pan to hold the liner in?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%