Molly2 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 31

Anybody doing anything fun tonight

Molly

30 replies
YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:05am
post #2 of 31

baking my sons birthday cake!!!thinking that i will now have a teenager in my house he is 13 tomorrow!!

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 31

I am making my 1st gumpaste figures.. So far they look good... I sure hope the mom who's baby shower it's for likes them...

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:09am
post #4 of 31

Happy Birthday to him. My son just turn 20 a couple weeks ago how do you think I feel I told him soon we'll be the same age. icon_biggrin.gif I have been baking cookies for my hubby and my son I didn't have a cake tonight so I thought I'd do a little something for them.

Molly icon_smile.gif

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:37am
post #5 of 31

dh is here after us being seperated for almost 2 months so tonight we're just staying in watching a movie... i am feeling kinda bored & restless though!
i've recently discovered this little bakery cafe in town that specializes in fancy cupcakes, so i am itching to start trying out some of my own!! i made some that were 'strawberry lemonade' flavor last week. i need an excuse to make some more....

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:59am
post #6 of 31

just finished my first gumpaste shoe...it's drying now icon_biggrin.gif Fabulous tutorial!

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:09am
post #7 of 31

I'm up! Making 2 8-inch square gift box cakes. My mmf is acting up so I thought I'd take a break.

Yay195-Happy 13th Birthday to your son!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:13am
post #8 of 31

I'm baking the a coconut bake for what will be a poker-themed birthday cake tonight. I have a pretty decent coconut cake recipie I plan to use, but just in case, does anyone have one thats particularly good?

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:37am
post #9 of 31

I'm working on a Minnie Mouse cake.. Just finished 2 dozen chocolate kisses Mice... with cute little pink bows. Taking a break to watch Keith Olbermann then it's back to the cake!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:49am
post #10 of 31

sayhellojana, I LOVE this Italian Cream Cake recipe. It's not exactly the same as a coconut cake, but it is spectacularly good!

Italian Cream Cake
1 box Duncan Hines Coconut Supreme cake mix
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups water
3 eggs
2 Tbsp oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, cookie pieces size, toasted in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until they smell nutty (transfer immediately from pan onto plate)
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted in 350 degree oven for 7 minutes or until golden brown (transfer immediately from pan onto plate)

Mix all ingredients on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Bake in 350 degree oven until toothpick has some crumbs clinging to it. Don't bake it until the toothpick comes out completely clean and the sides have shrunk from the pan, or else the carryover cooking will make it be overcooked.

Makes 2 ½ dozen cupcakes. Bake about 23-24 minutes.

Makes 2 8â rounds. Bake about 40 minutes and check.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:05am
post #11 of 31

Trying to make rice paper butterflies and getting frustrated--I'm wondering if maybe I don't have "thin" paper, because it's warping when I color on it with the food writers. I may just purchase a couple sheets of them from Sugarcraft...

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:15am
post #12 of 31

Me...I am working.....at the hospital....my weekend to work....oh well...someone has to do it...

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:37am
post #13 of 31

. . . I need to go to sleep . . . have to get up in 5 hrs to go to work . . . but I'm not sleepy . . . icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:37am
post #14 of 31

I have never seen Coconut cake mix icon_cry.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:54am
post #15 of 31

Oh and Im sitting at home watching the Olympics. No cakes this weekend!!!

sayhellojana Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:14am
post #16 of 31

Coconut and Pecans, that sounds really good! I saved the recipe on my computer, I may give it a try later this week. Thanks a ton, I'm always open to new cake recipes.
I'm new to decorating, just doing it for fun. I have some photos of my cakes but the website isn't letting me upload them.

I'm planning to try fondant for the first time for an anniversary cake next week. It's for family, so I'm not too worried about it being perfect, but I know I need to do a practice. Any tips for a first timer?

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:40am
post #17 of 31

Hope everyone gets some sleep tonight! I am in the middle of my biggest project yet, but about to call it quits for the night (almost 2am here). I am making 150 cupcakes with scrapbook wrappers & fondant hearts/flowers plus a 5" topper cake for my good friends wedding Sunday morning. I am also her bridesmaid so we have rehearsal/dinner tomorrow and hair & makeup starts at 4am for the 9am wedding on Sunday. We are using Antonia74's cupcake stand and I think it is going to look AWESOME!

sayhellojana Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 9:59am
post #18 of 31

The coconut cake baked perfectly. I just finished leveling the layers and am wrapping up for tonight. I didn't follow the recipie I started out using, but its really tasty. I hope I remember what I did differently

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:21am
post #19 of 31

I thought I would be the only crazy cake lady up making cakes tonight!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:33am
post #20 of 31

I was thinking of you ladies last night! I finished up the last of my stuff around 10 PM last night then settled in to watch the rest of the olympics opening ceremony. I didnt make it to the torch lighting (too tired!) but good ol Tivo...

I have NO cakes next week! I am so excited, (I know, sounds wierd, but its been a LONG wedding season! Haven't had a break since April) I am gonng just veg out and watch those sexy swimmers..(although they are now wearing these body suits instead of the half nekkid speedos! What gives!!!! No Fair!!!)

Molly2 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:06pm
post #21 of 31

I Love the Friday Night Club

Molly thumbs_up.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #22 of 31

Well I got my figure done... I think they are ok... tonight I will be painting them to finish them off... I did have to perform major surgery this AM as my daughter ripped the bear's head off... oops!

Molly2 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #23 of 31

Be Sure a post a picture I'd love to see them

Molly2

micnmax2003 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:19pm
post #24 of 31

Coconut cake (doctored mix)

1 box white cake mix
Replace the water with coconut milk
4 egg whites
Oil as called for on the box
1 box vanilla pudding (couldn't find coconut)
2 teaspoons coconut extract

Prepare as directed on mix (this recipe was shared by Penny727 at CC)

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:44pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Trying to make rice paper butterflies and getting frustrated--I'm wondering if maybe I don't have "thin" paper, because it's warping when I color on it with the food writers. I may just purchase a couple sheets of them from ...

I buy mine ready-made. I got tired of tossing out warped creations.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:49pm
post #26 of 31

I love reading the Friday night cake club! I am a ghost member. I am always up on friday nights doing cakes. last night was 4:30.a.m....but I can't seem to drag my butt to the computer to chat with you all.
I have been so intimidated by this grooms cake I had to do last night, that I couldn't seem for get this easy wedding cake done, just worrying about the groom's cake....so 4:30 am, I hit the bed, only to get up at 10, run to the store and get strawberries for 4 dozen tuxedo berries for the base of the groom's cake!
All turned out well, but it kicked my butt...and it was only a 1 wedding cake weekend! I have 4 next week, but help is coming in.

micnmax2003 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:38am
post #27 of 31

good luck next weekend cakequeen50...I'll be thinking of you icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:55am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Trying to make rice paper butterflies and getting frustrated--I'm wondering if maybe I don't have "thin" paper, because it's warping when I color on it with the food writers. I may just purchase a couple sheets of them from ...

I buy mine ready-made. I got tired of tossing out warped creations.

I'm going to give it one more try, this time with everclear and food coloring and a brush, and then I'm going to break down and buy them. I REALLY want to do this for my aunt...

Molly2 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 3:39am
post #29 of 31

Cakequeen

I wish you lots of luck and I hope everything turns out great. varika I'd like to know how your butterflies turn out keep us posted.

Molly

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:37am
post #30 of 31

Ok here are my finished and painted gumpaste figures, I am pretty pleased being that this was my 1st attempt:
What do you think? I am in the process of uploading them...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%