Doweling Question

Decorating By allycook Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm by JenniferMI

allycook Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 6

I am making a 4 tiered wedding cake, 8", 12", 15" & 18". In regard to the dowels that are supporting the 15" tier, do I need to also place dowels not only around the outer edges but also inward? I hope this makes sense. I have placed 20 1/4" ones. Is that enough or should I use larger dowels? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
jules1719 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #2 of 6

The dowels should be evenly spaced over the whole area, not just around the edges. I personally use larger than 1/4 inch on the bottom tier since it is supporting the most weight. Any decent cake deorating book will have guidelines for doweling.

leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 6

Or you could throw out all your dowels and use SPS. There are many converts here on CC.

lillicakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 6

All of the cake books I have seen say to only dowel around the edge of the cake.

I got nervous recently when having to support a 14" layer that was on cardboard. I finally decided (after polling the experts here, and recognizing my time constraints) to just use the wilton plastic dowles around the edge (and only 8 of them) and put the cake on a separator plate. Though the dowels didn't fit into the plate like a regular SPS would, the plate added the rigidity that 14" layer needed so that support only around the edge was adequate.

I think there are many roads to Rome, so it comes down to what method will give you the most confidence and best results.

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 6

I have posted a number of times that I use 4 dowels, no matter what the size .... but I think with a cake this size, even *I* would put some in the middle of that bottom tier! thumbs_up.gif

JenniferMI Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 6

I use 3/16" dowels on the larger cakes, and I would put a few in the center. More is better icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%