Sugar Glue

Decorating By fisher9900 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 4:05am by deliciously_decadent

fisher9900  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fisher9900 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I am new to the decorating craze, is there any other way to get Fondant to stick to a cake other than Sugar glue? I do not have T, or MMF to make it the it has been previously stated in these forums. I am doing a cake for a baby shower and I am making a replica of a baby that matches the shower decorations. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. icon_razz.gif

6 replies
 dragonflydreams  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #2 of 7

. . . royal icing will do the trick . . .

banba  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #3 of 7

Are you sticking fondant accents to fondant cake or buttercream?

Beaten egg white makes a good glue as does a little fondant melted in a little hot water. Or maybe royal icing but not sure about that on buttercream cakes?

fisher9900  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fisher9900 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 7

I am going to stick the fondant to buttercream, it's a baby face, and I want to put it on the side of the cake. I never thought about beaten egg whites or royal icing, Thanks for the ideas. Will the buttercream help it to hold on? I have attached an the baby shower theme, I would like to incorporate the baby face made out of fondant somewhere on the cake.
LL
LL

banba  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 7

I don't work with buttercream cakes and don't have experience of attaching fondant accents to buttercream having said that I put fondant over buttercream all the time with no problems.

I wish I could offer experienced advice to you on this but sadly I can't sorry! Try the search function to go through the forums for your answers.

I thought there was an issue with the buttercream breaking down the RI so if you used that as glue it would be a waste of time, I think? Again I just don't know.

Hopefully someone can clarify this better for you. Lovely ideas though, would love to see the finished cake and best of luck!

SweetConfectionsChef  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 7

I just use water.

deliciously_decadent  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:05am
post #7 of 7

depending on what i am doing the cake for i use clear alcohol (vodka or gin) but if it is for a childrens cake or highly likely children willbe eating it i use apricot jam diluted with boiling water to make a syrup, the reason for this is that both are 'sterile' and will not breed bacteria and mold -you need to use sterile stainless stell spoons to take out jam from jar to ensure no bacteria breeds in that also. I have heard of cases of cakes that have been 'kept' developing mildew/mould between the cake and icing, i think it would be quite rare but that is the reasoning behind it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%