Sugar Glue

Decorating By fisher9900 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 4:05am by deliciously_decadent

fisher9900 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:32am
post #1 of 7

I am new to the decorating craze, is there any other way to get Fondant to stick to a cake other than Sugar glue? I do not have T, or MMF to make it the it has been previously stated in these forums. I am doing a cake for a baby shower and I am making a replica of a baby that matches the shower decorations. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. icon_razz.gif

6 replies
dragonflydreams Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:46am
post #2 of 7

. . . royal icing will do the trick . . .

banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #3 of 7

Are you sticking fondant accents to fondant cake or buttercream?

Beaten egg white makes a good glue as does a little fondant melted in a little hot water. Or maybe royal icing but not sure about that on buttercream cakes?

fisher9900 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 7

I am going to stick the fondant to buttercream, it's a baby face, and I want to put it on the side of the cake. I never thought about beaten egg whites or royal icing, Thanks for the ideas. Will the buttercream help it to hold on? I have attached an the baby shower theme, I would like to incorporate the baby face made out of fondant somewhere on the cake.

banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 7

I don't work with buttercream cakes and don't have experience of attaching fondant accents to buttercream having said that I put fondant over buttercream all the time with no problems.

I wish I could offer experienced advice to you on this but sadly I can't sorry! Try the search function to go through the forums for your answers.

I thought there was an issue with the buttercream breaking down the RI so if you used that as glue it would be a waste of time, I think? Again I just don't know.

Hopefully someone can clarify this better for you. Lovely ideas though, would love to see the finished cake and best of luck!

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:26am
post #6 of 7

I just use water.

deliciously_decadent Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:05am
post #7 of 7

depending on what i am doing the cake for i use clear alcohol (vodka or gin) but if it is for a childrens cake or highly likely children willbe eating it i use apricot jam diluted with boiling water to make a syrup, the reason for this is that both are 'sterile' and will not breed bacteria and mold -you need to use sterile stainless stell spoons to take out jam from jar to ensure no bacteria breeds in that also. I have heard of cases of cakes that have been 'kept' developing mildew/mould between the cake and icing, i think it would be quite rare but that is the reasoning behind it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%