Disco Glitter On Fondant

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm by mkolmar

mkolmar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:18am
post #1 of 7

I want to put disco glitter on a cake coming up. What is the ratio of tylose powder to water to make the glue so it will stick properly?

6 replies
jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #2 of 7

Just bumping this along since I can't be of any help. I'm not familiar with disco glitter.

Jibbies

banba Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:43am
post #3 of 7

1/4 tsp tylose powder

mixed with

2 tblsp of warm water

stir and leave overnight.

PinkZiab Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 7

If you have an airbrush, I usually pearl my cakes with the airbrush (even if I'm not glittering) and then glitter right away and it sticks right to the airbrush liquid.

mkolmar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7

I don't have an airbrush unfortunately. PinkZiab (wish I did though, am looking for a really good brand.)

Banba--thank you for posting the "Glue" amounts for me. Does it have to sit out overnight or can I just wait a few minutes after brushing it on with a pastry brush since it just needs to be a thinner amount?

wickedgrinch Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 7

Hi, I just bought some disco glitter to use on my sister's wedding cake. I was told the way to get it to stick, is to water down some clear piping gel until it is a creamy consistency, then using a palette knife spread the gel wherever you want the glitter to stick. Sprinkle on the glitter, or using a clean knife pick some up on the end and press onto the gel. She suggested doing it over wax paper, so you can easily pick up and resuse the glitter that falls (just like craft time in grade school!).

Hope that helps!

mkolmar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Wickedgrinch (love the user name). I have a Barbie cake to cover with it for my daughters birthday. (I hope it turns out) I'm going to try a few new decorating techniques that I haven't done yet.
The gel sounds pretty easy to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%