New Wilton Yearbook Question!

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 12:27am by all4cake

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 3

i have to make the cake pictured in the new wilton yearbook that is with disneys tinkerbell and she is sitting on top of a tree that is on a round cake. my question is does anyone have a suggestion on my support for the top of the tree and tree itself?? i'm not sure if im going to be able to find the plates they are talking about

2 replies
doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 3

You may be able to use some long dowels...long enough to go through the cake & tree.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:27am
post #3 of 3

I would use two wooden boards and a large dowel.

Find centers of both the 16" and the 10" round wooden boards(3/4"). Countersink a hole about 1/4" deep and large enough that the dowel fits in snugly. Cover boards, if desired and cut an X over the holes. Insert dowel. From below, secure dowel to the 16" board by screwing it to the board.

Ice the 14" layer.

Find the center to the 14" round layer and core it large enough to go easily over dowel. (you can wrap the dowel in waxed paper to keep it from coming in contact with the cake). Make sure to cut hole in cardboard circle it rests on as well.

Slide 14" layer over dowel to rest on 16" board. A piece of waxed/freezer paper can be cut and a hole cut in the center to lay on the bottom layer until the dowel is finished being secured.

Turn 10" board over so that the countersunk hole is on the bottom. Insert top of dowel into the hole...tap it firmly to make sure it is in place. Screw it from the top of the board into the dowel to secure it. Place iced 8" layer on top (smear icing, apply hot glue, double-sided tape....on board to help keep the 8" layer on cardboard circle from shifting if transporting).

Finish decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%