Brand New At Sheet Cakes

Decorating By Ecope Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm by HerBoudoir

Ecope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ecope Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hey guys! I'm very, very new to this cake decorating thing, but have a few questions regarding sheet cakes. I was wondering- how do you cool on a cooling rack... are there racks big enough?
Also, when people refer to one layer- does that mean that you just half that sheet to put the filling in or is there no filling?
So sorry, but I'm soo confused!
Thank you all!

4 replies
have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 5

Hopefully some more experienced bakers will reply but in the meantime here are my answers:
1 layer = no filling
yes there are large cooling racks or you can put 2 smaller ones side by side depending on the size of your sheet pan

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 5

I'm also a single-layer-no-filling on sheets, unless someone requests it.

You may have to go to a kitchen specialty store to get the big racks. I just hate shopping regular retail anymore ..... ticks me off to see the cute little crappy crap the retailers stick housewives with, now that I'm so used to working with the good stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

If you have any outlets malls close to you, there's probably a Kitchen Collection store there. I found some 24x24 cooling racks there for $10 each. LUV 'em!!!

When I first started out, my refrigerator has wire racks (not glass shelves) so I pulled one of them out and used it as a cooling rack for quite a while. I had to put 2 upside coffee cups under one end to keep it level, but it worked!! thumbs_up.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 8:44am
post #4 of 5

For really large sheet cakes, I remove one of my oven racks to the counter before baking and use it for a cooling rack.

Dee

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 5

Check and see if you have a restaurant supply store near you. I have fabulous cooling racks that I bought from there that are extremely sturdy and were $4 each. I just line up the racks if I have something larger to cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%