I've Got 3 Cakes Going On At The Same Time, Help!!!

Decorating By ranbel Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm by lanibird

ranbel Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 13

OK, I just got all 3 caked iced and just sitting. All 3 are bday cakes...2 are for family and 1 is a customer...my 1 cake is iced and I rolled it to smooth it and my icing is really wet and soft..this has never happened before. I have to use the diamond mat on the top of this cake and even with dusting it, I'm afraid it is still going to stick... icon_cry.gif

Any suggestions on how I can fix this problem ????, I don't have time to redo this cake, since I have 3 to do tonight...

Next problem, One cake has a edible imaged (my first time doing this) and it is my understanding, that is should dissolve into the buttercream icing??? not happening... can I take a blow dryer (heat) and get it to dissolve without messing up the image icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks you guys....cc'ers rule

12 replies
Charmaine49 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 13

I wouldn't put a hairdryer to the print once it is on the frosting, you might just shrink the print.

It will automatically blend in with the cake while it stands.
The only time I use a hairdryer is to loosen it and then you blow
on the back of the print.

ranbel Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 13

Ok, I am going to leave the print one alone...

Any suggestions on my other issue with the wet/tacky icing????

I forgot to mention that I iced my caked frozen....man I hope that is not the issue...

lanibird Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 13

As long as the edible image is sticking to the cake, you are a-ok. I wouldn't take a dryer to it personally, I'd be too afraid of messing it up.

As for your other cake, if it's not crusting, maybe try putting it in the fridge or freezer to firm the icing up a bit. It might still stick a bit, but just use a small spatula to clean it up.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

MadeYaLook Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 13

put the soft one in the fridge

lanibird Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 13

Ok, just saw that you iced the cake frozen. Yep, that is most likely why your icing is wet and tacky. Let the cake come to room temperature, preferably a cool place near a fan to let the condensation evaporate off. Hopefully your icing should start to go back to normal.

kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 13

Once the frosting sheet is on the cake it doesn't completely 'meld' into the icing - it can been seen by those who know it's there. The average person will not notice usually.
If the soft, wet icing hasn't dried to the touch (lightly touch w/your finger in a place what will be covered w/some decoration) then get some (fabric) netting/tulle. Place that on the cake then the diamond mat over it. Your lines won't be as crisp, clear as if just using the mat but it will not stick to the icing. When finished slowly, carefully *peel* the tulle off from top to bottom. This may not be necessary depending on how wet the icing is.

ranbel Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks...I think I am going to go to dinner and work on it when I get back...I'll never ice again FROZEN......

This is probably the same reason why my edible image in not dissolving....

ranbel Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 13

Another question????

I am also going to luster dust the top of this cake, do you think if I luster dust first that my help absorb some on the condensation and then use the mat???? icon_rolleyes.gif

lanibird Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:45pm
post #10 of 13

I don't know about it absorbing any moisture, but I would be wary of doing it. I would think, with the icing still being wet and tacky, taking a brush to it might make it streaky, and the brush.... gooky. icon_lol.gif

seagoat Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 13

I would get it cold. After the icing is firm, then you should be able to use mat.

Good luck

I also had 3 cakes today and had a heck of a time with my chocolate icing. I finally got the icing smooth but still don't know why the last couple of times the chocolate icing is giving me trouble

ranbel Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 13

YEAH! All came out well....man I was sweating bullets on this one.. icon_lol.gif

I will post all 3 pixs...one is a small Fl. Gator cake thumbsdown.gif , I am Bulldog fan myself. The other is a 1/2 sheet for my Granny, with pink roses. buds and swirls...the other is a 1/2 sheet tiffany blue with diamond pattern trimmed with chocolate dots and border...

Thanks to all you for your support, cc'er rule thumbs_up.gif

lanibird Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 13

Looking forward to the pics!

I love Happy Cake Endings! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%