Keeping It Together!

Decorating By shaleann Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm by janelwaters

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 25

Please help!!! I've never made a 3D cake before. I've tried doll rods and different cakes, but to no avail. He keeps falling over or falling apart! As soon as I get him frosted, he falls over. I put doll rods in this time, and he fell apart where the doll rod was, then, of course, fell over! Is there any way to make this rabbit stand up? HELP!!!!

24 replies
valbos22 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 25

First of all, deep breath!

Can you post a picture of the rabbit and let us know his dimensions?

What kind of cake recipie are you using, on those 3D guys you need a really dense recipe.

sugardaze Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 25

Did you try chilling him before dowelling to harden him up a bit?

kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 25

We know you are very frustrated but we really need more information to be able to help you. Please tell us how you constructed this rabbit - and yes a pic would help greatly.
There may be hope but we need to understand/see what we can do to help you.

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 25

Yes, I tried freezing him first, then fridged him enough to be able to get the doll rods through. I used the white almond sour cream cake that someone here recommended. Should I use a pound cake instead? Would it taste just as good?

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 25

I'll try and figure out how to post the pics I have of the pan.

sweetness11379 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 25

Do you have time to redo the cake or are you trying to fix what you've got now?

sweetness11379 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 25

I've used the white almond sour cream for alot of 3D cakes. It should work so my guess would be a structural issue. If he leans backward too much shave some off the bottom of the front legs (just a tad) so he'll tilt forward more.

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 25

It won't let me upload the pictures here and I'm not sure how else to get it on here. The dimensions are (now I'm just guessing since it's an odd shape and I'm not sure how to figure it) 8 X 8 in the longest parts and about 4 inches deep when it's totally cooked.

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 25

Actually he tilts to the side a bit. I have lots of time. I did this on purpose since he's my first 3D cake. I just want to get my trial done before I have to worry about the final product. Should I cook him a tad longer? I'm really thinking that I should just give up and make him lay down! The final cake has to be done on Oct. 4th for my nieces 1st birthday. I want it to be special, but if it's gonna look like crap, there's no reason for me to do this for her.

ShortcakesSweets Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 25

I have a White Chocolate Pound Cake recipe that holds up great for 3D cakes if you're interested.

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 25

OK, I have pics under my photos, just not sure how to get them here! I would love to try the recipe please either pm me here or email me at Please, any one or everyone who can tell me how to do this, what is the best way, on top of another cake or by itself, any thing else I can't think of............I want any and all advice! I'm pretty much self taught at this point and learning as I go. Thanks a million! Shauna

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 25

Oh the photos must not be on quite yet......hopefully soon.

varika Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 25

Did you level the bottom? Make it flat, with a knife?

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:45pm
post #15 of 25

Yes, I have a cake levelor. I'm so confused! I think maybe it's just me. Maybe I should skip the whole 3D thing! UGH! I'm so frustrated at what the problem is, or maybe just a solution. The photos are up now by the way. I just had to shrink them. Thank you all so much for trying to help me!

Monna7122 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm
post #16 of 25

Honey calm down. If it is not until Oct, you have time to do several trial and erros on the rabbit. I use the small Wilton Teddy Bear pan alot and pound cake seems to be the best to use with it.

ShortcakesSweets, I would LOVE that recipe on the White Chocolate pound cake if you would PLEASE share icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:56pm
post #17 of 25

We know you are frustrated now. Take a bit of time off and settle down. This is very do-ableicon_smile.gif
Since you are using a 2 piece, shaped pan you must get the bottom (that he stands on) completely level. Put the cake into the pan (best would be to do this before taking out of pan) and level it.
With the seam being from top to bottom you cannot dowel to hold it togoether. You can put a kabob stick at an angle from top to bottom of each 1/2 of the rabbit, so you anchore it to the board. Put icing on each 1/2 and stick together.
That should be all it takes to keep him standing upright. Oh, and put a nice dab of icing under his feet. This will also help hold him upright.

kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm
post #18 of 25

Oh forgot to mention if you are using the WASC recipe you *are* using a pound cake - or as close as one can get w/o acutally scratch baking one.

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:05pm
post #19 of 25

Kakeladi, should I put him atop another cake or actually kabob him to the board? I think I get what your saying. I'm going to try again, but not for a few days! Don't get me wrong, my family LOVES eating the mess ups! I just don't need it laying around the house! LOL! Shauna

kansaslaura Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:14pm
post #20 of 25

How big (around) are the dowel rods you're using? If they're too big they will break the cake. From the picture of the pan you posted, it's not a real wide cake.

Momkiksbutt Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #21 of 25

Sounds to me like your recipe is your culprit. You have to make sure you you use the extender recipe. And if your using the wrong cake mix it will make a difference. I have experiemented with various ones and have found that the only one that really works well is Pillsbury's Pudding in the mix cake mixes. This is the only one that makes the cake really a pound cake.

Try doing that and you should be ok. Also, make sure that you're not over beating the batter. That introduces too much air into the mix and will make it more sponge than pound. This could be your problem too.

Good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #22 of 25

I think that they might have been to big around. I'm going to get kabob sticks for the next time I give it a go.

valbos22 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #23 of 25

Can I just say how much I love how everyone steps up to help avert caked disasters? thumbs_up.gif

Are you baking it as one piece ( two halves anchored together with pins, upside down) or are you baking it as two halves and then trying to sandwich them together and upright?

shaleann Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #24 of 25

I love that I found this site too! You all are so wonderful coming to my aid as you have!

It's a one piece! Thank God I don't have to try and get this thing to hold together! I can't even get it to stand up! LOL!

janelwaters Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:51pm
post #25 of 25

ShortcakesSweets, I would LOVE that recipe on the White Chocolate pound cake if you would PLEASE share!!!!

thank you so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%