Errrrrr!!!! Just Have To Vent!!! Long................

Decorating By apetricek Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm by mcelromi1

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 6

Ok I am getting pretty figgin' tired of all the cheap people out there. I have within the past month have had people try and bargain with me!!!! What the h*ll?? The first one wanted a two tiered stacked Tiffany style boxes fondant covered with fondant ribbon, and bows, and a custom tag on it...Bottom was to be pound cake, and top chocolate/chocolate chip with chocolate mousse. For 65 people...I quoted her $170.00 her response was WOW didn't think it was going to be so expensive...suggested that she call around...well guess I was cheaper cause I made the cake!!! Now I just had a call from a co-worker of my husband's she ordered a 2 tier, fondant with brown and lime green polka dots, fondant frogs that are a bride and groom, and brown fondant bow. Both tiers are to be strawberry shortcake (with fresh strawberries). It is for 40 people and I quoted her $150.00 she said oh, well we were trying to work on a budget (first I am hearing about it, cake is for next week) and of course went to supplier today and bought all the supplies....told her this is what the price is. If she wanted to save money or only had so much, then should either choose another cake, or told me in the beginning! ERRRRRR!!! Have you guys been having these issues? I have multiple customers tell me I am WAY TOO CHEAP for the work that I do, and the taste of my stuff.....Just wanted to know that I am not the only one with these CHEAP-O's!!!!

5 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 6

nothing wrong with them asking for the world on a budget . . . I often request people to see if they can do better on prices. but you're doing the right thing - you have your prices, and they meet them or they don't. no harm no foul.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 6

Last year I had a lady who wanted to pay me in food stamps.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 6

a lot of people here are cheap too. The want a custom cake for a grocery store price. Not going to happen! I also have two bakeries down the street from me that charge a lot more than me. (one of them is Jorge from the food network challenges.)
I think the economy is really making people cut back on stuff like fancy cakes.
Jen...

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 6

Oh don't get me started on the misuse of food stamps icon_lol.gif I won't EVEN go there!! Sorry you've had a bought of tightwads lately -but at least they've bought the cake from you in the end! (well, the one anyhoo icon_wink.gif)

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 6

I don't think it's fair to go around calling everyone who can't afford or was unaware of the cost of your cakes CHEAP-O's.
Personally I couldn't afford some of my own cakes.
Only you know the time and effort put into the cakes you do. To most others it's just cake.
I get alot of customers who've never stepped into, let alone ordered a speciatlty made cake before.

Usually people will think you're crazy until, like you suggested to your customer, begin to inquire with other bakeries and realize that you were probably the best deal in town.

Just stay firm to your prices. You'll win some and you'll lose some.
But the sticker shocked customers will never go away. Its just part of the business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%