Questions On Michele Foster's Fondant

Decorating By ginak Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 12:48am by GenGen

ginak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginak Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 10

I made a batch of Michele's fondant on Wednesday and I have a couple questions...

First off, I've never covered a cake with fondant before, and never really worked with fondant before either, but I have Sugarshack's fondant DVD and have watched it several times.

I bought some Wilton fondant just so I could have something to compare the MF to. After kneading the Wilton for about a minute, it gets nice and smooth, and when I try to pull it apart it almost has a taffy-like texture. My MF fondant isn't very stretchy at all; I can stretch it a little, but it's ripping every time I try to cover my dummy with it. I know Wilton tastes lousy, but is that the texture I should be aiming for?

Also, is it possible to overknead fondant? I may have done that, because I kneaded the heck out of my MF batch. icon_confused.gif

Thanks.

9 replies
Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 10

I also use MF's fondant. Did you add the gelatin because that would effect the elasticity?

HTH!

ginak Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, I opened my packets of gelatin and measured out 6 tsp., because I had read that not all packets have the same quantity. Thanks anyway. icon_smile.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 10

How long ago was it that you made the MF fondant? I think you've got to wait about a day or so before using it to let it "cure" or something. I thought the same thing when I first made it ... wrapped it up tight and used it a couple days later and it was much more stretchy a couple days later than it was when I first made it.

ginak Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 10

I made the fondant on Wed. afternoon and tried to work with it on Thurs. night. I think I may have added too much sugar?

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 10

You should PM Michelle Foster, her user name on CC is sugarflowers. Hopefully she will be able to help you out. Sorry I did not think of that yesterday!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 10

It sounds like you might have made the fondant a little too stiff. Try kneading in some shortening and some glycerin. Warming it very slightly in the microwave will help make the kneading easier.

If you can, knead it on something non-stick, with shortening spread on it and no powdered sugar or cornstarch.

HTH

Michele

ginak Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:20am
post #8 of 10

Today I decided to start from scratch and make another batch. Well, I must've done something terribly wrong the first time I made it, because I saw a drastic improvement in the fondant even before I turned it out of the mixer bowl. It looked terrific, kneaded like a dream, and tastes great! Thanks for such a great recipe, Michele!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #9 of 10

oustanding! hope to see pics soon! glad things worked out for you!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:48am
post #10 of 10

oustanding! hope to see pics soon! glad things worked out for you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%