Icing The Cake

Decorating By valbos22 Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 12:37am by superstar

valbos22 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 5

How do you ensure that there is an even amount of frosting across the top and on the sides? Whever I go to smooth with my VIVA there are parts with hardly any frosting and then there are spots where there is a ton.

Also when doing a thin coat of buttercream to place fondant over, is it so thin that the cake is showing through or are you wanting to get a thin even coat that covers the cake completely, if that makes sense? Would it depend on the fondant?

4 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 5

I like to use the icing tip to get an even amount of the cake (top and sides). Then use a bench scraper on the sides and spatula on the top to clean it up.

Regarding how much BC to put under your fondant - its really a personal preference. If you are using the buttercream so your fondant will stick to the cake, just apply a light crumb coat (maybe build up in spots where the cake is uneven or bumpy). You need a smooth base to work with. Some people use a lot of BC under their fondant but I can't the final finish nice if I do this as the BC squishes around.

kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 5

How are you icing your cake? Do you use a spatula or the 'quick icer' tip? The tip dispenses just the right amounticon_smile.gif Then when you finish it you don't scrape icing off - just smooth it out.

valbos22 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 5

Aaaaa makes sense, so THATS how they always get the buttercream so perfect on pro cakes-- yes I notice the icing thickness on cake slices, I am a weirdo like that. I do have that tip, so now I am going to try it out!

Yes, I have noticed too much BC makes the fondant squishy (okay I have done fondant twice) and too little makes it hard to work with. I just thought maybe if you knew for sure (WIlton fondant) that they would peel off the fondant then you put more icing and less for when they probably wouldn't (MMF, YUM)

Thanks for your input, I just LOVE this site, I am self-taught and boy have I been doing lots of things the hard way!

superstar Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:37am
post #5 of 5

I always put a regular amount of BC under my fondant & roll my fondant thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%