Preserves For Filling?

Decorating By froggyqueen Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 7:49am by Rylan

froggyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyqueen Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 12

I am making just a regular cake not for a customer and have only filled cakes with buttercream before. I want to do something a little different but simple. Can I use the preserves out of a jar or do I still need to add something? I was thinking of maybe strawberry. Thanks!

11 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 12

I use them all the time. icon_smile.gif

Some people will spread a thin layer of icing on the layers before filling and some will add some buttercream to the preserves. Me, I just prefer to use perserves alone and spread it over the bare cake.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 12

I have used Smucker's Simply Fruit Seedless Strawberry before and it was very good. I got tons of compliments. Just be sure to make a good stiff BC dam......I learned that the hard way when I first started decorating. I only took Wilton I and for my final class cake I wanted to make it "extra special" since it was Father's Day.....I baked and iced that morning before class, made a dam (just not big or stiff enough I guess) and added the fruit filling. Then the whole top slid off during the 30 minute drive to class icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif !

jpcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpcs Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 12

Ditto on the last replies - Smucker's Seedless is great! I also mix fresh fruit with the preserves no one knows you used anything jarred!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 12

I too use them all the time--I just warm them up a little in the microwave so they spread better either over BC or just straight on the cake...works great!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 12

I use Smucker's Strawberry or raspberry (myfavorite) right out of the squeeze bottle. Usually I do a layer of BC with a dam and then the preserves and it is loved by all!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 12

just like the others said, friut preserves are great. i also spread a thin layer of bc first and make a dam around the edges and fill with friut. delicious.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 12

DITTO on all the other posts. The seedless works the best to me because I hate biting down on something hard and having it stick in my teeth for days afterwards. And I think is covers better without trying to cling so much to the cake. The first Fondant I ever did I covered the cake in preserves first since that was what I had been taught. BC is certainly easier than preserves to smooth! I hate one darned LUMPY BUMPY CAKE!!!! It tasted great! looked bad.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 12

I like to use the sugarless preserves because I find the regular stuff to be too sweet. Also, I do add thin layer of BC to the cake before adding the preserves to keep them from soaking into the cake. I am also a big fan of Smuckers' Sugarfree, seedless raspberry, apricot, and strawberry.

It adds a nice touch to a cake w/ very little effort.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 12

I use perserves all the time. My favorite is orange marmalade with choc. cake and frosting. Try it. It is fabulous!!!!

Stephanie

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:27pm
post #11 of 12

Oh the Orange marmalade idea sounds so darn good ...... (wiping away the drool) I have to go now and make a chocolate cake. YUMMMY.....Thank you for the idea

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:49am
post #12 of 12

does raspberry and strawberry preserves need to be refrigerated how long can in stay on the counter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%