Question About Making A "book" Cake

Decorating By abra526 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm by sugarshack

abra526 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a surprise grad cake for my friend. She knows she's getting a cake, but she wanted the design to be a surprise. One of my ideas was a cake that looks like a book, or maybe two stacked. She recieved her masters in elementary education, so childrens books would be appropriate. I'm a little nervous, because I havent' worked much with fondant. I would like any tips or advice from people who have made these book cakes. Is it any easier than completely covering a cake with fondant? I have until Sep 20th to do this cake, so I'm just trying to get some ideas! Thanks in advance for you help!

1 reply
sugarshack Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 2

how i did mine:

(and there are a lot of threads on this too)

the books were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%