Dummy Cakes

Decorating By sugaah Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 3:58am by Solecito

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am about to start using for the experience and to create a portfolio (for lack of a better word). Do dummies need to be covered, iced, to display the decorations. Can I just add the flowers, cut-outs, whatever without actually covering the dummy cake. In a pic I'm hoping it just looks like white icing. What think? Thanx

4 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, I've seen it done at bakeries without a frosting base.

And for pic purposes, you may get away with only doing 1 side of the dummie cake! icon_wink.gif Then you can do a different design on the other side!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 5

I think that if you really want good pictures, you should cover the dummy. Some cameras capture a lot of details.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecito

I think that if you really want good pictures, you should cover the dummy. Some cameras capture a lot of details.

I think you're right. Took sample pic and styrofoam details details showed on close-up.
Other than true frosting or fondant what can I use. I don't want to waste my good stuff.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #5 of 5

Some people suggest using wilton's fondant for practice. I use hte same frosting and fondant I use for real cakes for 2 reasons. First, the people who see the picture don't have to know it's a dummy. Second, the "practice" cake makes me see how long I have to work at it and sometimes I can change my mind and decide I don't want to sell that kind of cake or I can put a bigger price to cover the extra work and materials.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%