Taking Pictures Or Your Masterpieces

Decorating By kutabby Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm by DyMakesCake

kutabby Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 6

Do you have any tips? I have my first paid cake leaving my door in two weeks. I want to make sure that I start taking pictures of each cake (and cookie order) to build up my portfolio. Do you use a backdrop? Will just a nice snapshot work? Thanks!

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 6

Use a dark color (blue or black) for the backdrop. Before clicking that camera, be sure to look all around in the viewfinder for anything that looks out of place/shows that you don't want to show.
Take 3-6 different views - even if just slightly different; change the lighting; move the cake outside for natural light. Then pick the best pic of the bunch to use.

DollyCakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 6

I have a big white piece of fabric for darker colored cakes, and a big piece of black material for lighter colored cakes. I have a big ornamental wall decoration in my kitchen above a buffet so that's where I hang the fabric, and then set the cake there for a photo session! We call it the photo studio..you know, "it's time to take the cake to the cake studio for a session"...it's about a 5 foot walk from the kitchen! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 6

Take photos with and without flash. with good natural lighting, the ones without flash will probably be your best ones, but get both.

Coordinate your backdrop .... I sometimes use a black cloth as a backdrop and one time I took the pic and saw I had to change the backdrop .... the cake had a black ribbon on top and you couldn't see the ribbon because it blended into the backdrop! icon_redface.gif The red tablecloth worked MUCH better! thumbs_up.gif

But definitely watch for any kind of clutter or non-complimentary backgrounds .... don't take a pic of the cake next to the kitchen sink with bottles of soaps sitting around. Dont take a pic of it on your island or counter until you've removed ALL of your cake decorating bags, tools and messy bowls of icing. Please remove the box of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes off of the counter (saw a pic like this ... no kidding!). After you've removed all the clutter, be sure the angle of the pic doesn't include the messy family room where the kids have scattered the newspapers and all the candyland game pieces, or doesn't include your refrigerator that is covered with magnets and refrigerator art.

Little stuff! thumbs_up.gif

rnp3603 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 6

Indydebi, are you looking at one of my pictures for your what not to do? icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

DyMakesCake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for such an informative post. I haven't taken many pictures but the ones I have taken, you can see bowls of icing and such.

Thanks for all the tips!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%