Help!! I Need Answer Right Away How Do I Store Cake

Decorating By maam1993 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm by sweettoothmom

maam1993 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 9

I can't find the answer in my Wilton Student Books. Will royal icing decorations deteriorate in the frig. over night? I am using cream cheese icing that will need to be in the frig. and I would like to complete the cake today.

Thanks for any help.

8 replies
Karema Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 9

I think you can store it in the fridge.

leah_s Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 9

My initial reaction was no to the fridge. I'm prett sure the RI decoratinos will get soft. However, that might not be a problem if they're not standing up.

Valli_War Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 9

They'll be fine in refrigerator. They might become a little soft, but will be fine and nothing will happen to the shape either. I have kept my course II cake (basketweave) for 3 days in the refrigerator and the flowers were fine.

Briniga Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 9

Yea same here, I put royal icing in the fridge all the time, its in there now...

mixinvixen Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 9

cream cheese icing only needs to be refrigerated if it's gonna be out for several days. the high ratio of sugar preserves it. i'm not sure of your recipe, exactly, but just wanted to let you know. that almost the only icing that i use.

maam1993 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 9

I am using the crusting cream cheese icing obtained from Cake Central. It has 8 cups of sugar. The icing is thin and is good for icing the cake, but it seems to want to melt. I live in the south and it is very humid right now. While I was icing the cake, even though it is crusting, it looked as if it would slide off the cake.

I did thick the icing for the piping. If you have any further suggestions for making this icing in humid weather, I would appreciate it.

CakeWhizz Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 9

I use RI to attach decorations to fondant all the time and it's fine in the fridge. Just use a medium fridge setting.

sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 9

I am happy to say I have used RI and put it in the fridge overnite with no issues but they do soften up so if they are standing you could face issues.

Also Refrigeration sucks the moisture out of everything in it. Your cake can dry out if not completely covered, your fondant and BC can become crusty and brittle and yes they will leech the moisture out of the RI ruining them. Overnite should not be an issue with any of that though. It is long periods of time that you will see that result hence the lovely grocey store cakes we all love to hate!

I try to error on the side of caution and keep Cream cheese in the fridge as long as possible before the cake is being served. I would never leave it out for long no matter what the ratio of sugar to cream cheese.
Humidity and heat can wreck this and BC icing quick. Keep it in the fridge as long as you can. I also reccomend that they do not leave thier cakes in direct sunlight or in a warm spot if I am using BC and especially if I am using Cream Cheese. A sick client is a client who runs thier mouth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%