Cupcake Wedding Servings...

Business By mom42ws Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 2:03am by margaretb

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #31 of 44

indy, thank you for your last post; i appreciate it. i'm a little on the sensitive/psychotic side today icon_wink.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:56am
post #32 of 44

You know what? I like it all!
Stairs, fountains, cupcake weddings, fondant, buttercream, big bows, plastic bride and groom toppers, theme weddings, the list could go on but I'll stop.
I just enjoy doing cakes and making people happy

Jibbies

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #33 of 44

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my stair cake remark. I had one for my wedding, and I thought it was the most beautiful cake in the world.
Growing up in the 50's and 60's I thought a lot of things were fabulous. However looking back, I never want a photo to surface of me wearing a tie dyed shirt and home-made jeans skirt. And my hair!!!
Again, sorry if I offended. That was not my intent.
Back to things at hand, if the bride wants cupcakes, give her cupcakes. As to how many, I would think that most people would assume (yeah, I know how that goes) one per person. But again this should be up to the bride.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:50am
post #34 of 44

One thing I think we all are safely agreeing upon is: If the bride wants CUPCAKES (etc.), that's what she's going to GET, and EVERY LAST ONE OF US is going to HAPPILLY DO THEM!!!

Our point is, our personal opinions on cupcakes or not, we're all understanding that it's the bride's decision even if our own opinion happens to be that we aren't fans of them. I'm not exactly a fan of pillars and fountains, but by golly, if that's what the bride wants, gosh darn it, I trapsed 50 miles round trip, spent my own money to purchase the cascade set and plates/pillars knowing it'll likely never get used again, because THAT'S WHAT THE BRIDE WANTS, my opinion is what it is, but when it comes to the customer, if that's what they want, that's what they're gunna GET ('cause I hated it for planning our wedding when I couldn't find a baker in 30 miles who would even attempt a wilton cake from their wedding book, I vowed never to do that to a bride)...

Don't take offense to our personal opinions being what they are, the question is what do we think, and that's our opinions, nothing meant to be offensive. The fact is, we're all still willing to shut up, take the order, and make it to the bride's specifications, nothing more nothing less just as you choose to take the orders that you do and have your specialty where it is.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 3:56am
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

One thing I think we all are safely agreeing upon is: If the bride wants CUPCAKES (etc.), that's what she's going to GET, and EVERY LAST ONE OF US is going to HAPPILLY DO THEM!!!.......

Agree!! (although I'd probably still whine the whole time, so I'm not sure about the "happily" part! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:36am
post #36 of 44

This is not meant to offend anyone, its just my opinion icon_smile.gif

I do not like cupcake wedding cakes. dont get me wrong, some of the cupcakes posted on this topic and cupcake towers on this site and others are amazing, the detail work on each is obviously just great. However, there is something grand about a huge wedding cake stacked high to me that even 500 cupcakes all perfect can not compare with. Once again cupcakes can look very pretty, but I personally want something that takes my breath away at my wedding, cupcakes dont do it for me.

And again no offense its just my taste, everyone is different icon_smile.gif

Alicia

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 4:45am
post #37 of 44

I like both beautifully decorated cupcakes & cakes. I think I always stand in amazement when both are done beautifully. It's always "to each their own"!

Maybe there are a few reasons people could want cupcakes 1) Don't want to pay someone to cut & serve a cake 2) Don't have to worry about someone cutting the cake to the right size. 3)Not have to wait for the cake to be cut etc.

I do think people tend to eat more cupcakes than cakes & definitely more if there are different flavors. I like the idea of the mini cupcakes if there are multiple flavors.

ETA: I do think to get a beautifully decorated cupcake I would charge more per cupcake than per slice b/c they can become a PIA & take a LOT of time to do.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 5:00am
post #38 of 44

More than just enough. I think it too depends on the other food. Is there a full sit down or buffet meal or just finger foods. If people are eating meals, they are less likely to eat more cake or cupcakes. Finger foods just don't do it for me if there is cake in the room.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:11pm
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Maybe there are a few reasons people could want cupcakes 1) Don't want to pay someone to cut & serve a cake

Depending on the venue. Many places are calling it a cake service fee instead of a cake cutting fee. If the bride gets cupcakes and still wants plates, forks, and wants the cupcakes served to the guests at the table, the venue has to pay for the staffing and the plates/forks, clean up to do that, so they will still charge a cake service fee, whether a cake is "cut" or not. The venue is not making any money on the cake, but they are incurring costs in the use of their plates and paying their staff to serve the cupcakes and wash those plates. It's one of the questions I encourage brides to ask their venue when they are considering cupcakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

3)Not have to wait for the cake to be cut etc.

Oh surely people just dont' walk up and help themselves to the cake whenever they want instead of waiting for the bride and groom to do the cake cutting ceremony? Surely they don't grab a cupcake or two before the dinner is served instead of waiting for dessert time, do they? icon_confused.gif If I was a guest at a wedding, I'd still "wait" until the designated time for the cake to be served, so I"m not sure what you mean by "not have to wait for the cake to be cut". icon_confused.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #40 of 44

My experience has been that the older we get, as we watch traditions and practices change, we tend to think a lot of the newer ways are tacky. In just about any area of life. And if you are a cake person, cupcakes at a wedding could fall into that category for you. When I got married, my mom's list of "tacky" was rather long. Ballet slippers on a bride was near the top of the list. Why? To her, shoes make the dress. There ya go. icon_smile.gif

I've lived my life in a part of the country where wedding receptions were more about fellowship and celebration than about spending your life savings and mortgaging your house. Times are changing, but in general, there is not as much pressure from the guests to have a reception that has a certain level of grandness. I've yet to have been to a cupcake wedding, but it sounds like fun to me. icon_smile.gif

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #41 of 44

Getting back to the original topic - I advise my brides to multiply their headcount by at LEAST 110% when figuring # of cupcakes. I also allow 3 minis per person and more if there are multiple flavors. People always want to try all the flavors.

We've done pretty good with that formula. Occasionally there will be a bride that knows her "people" love sweets and ups the order, etc.

We've also found that an open bar makes mini cupcakes disappear. LOL

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm
post #42 of 44

What I meant by not waiting to cut the cake is...Waiting for someone to disassemble, cut & plate the cake. Around here there are more small wedding, while a lot more are branching out and the season of my friends getting married is over (now it's babies) so it's been a year since I've been to a wedding But even when I was in my SIL's wedding last year it still took quite a while for the cake to be served to all the guests. So, no cutting. I didn't mean to jump line & have at it, although I'm sure there are those who would "take one off the back" so no one would see, or give one to their kid, which this could be a reason to not do them.

I do think I saw a cupcake cake on the advertisement for Dr Phil's 1000th show. So, there ya go. A whole lot easier to serve people cupcakes than cakes & you can eat a cupcake w/ a fork---I've done it many times!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:17pm
post #43 of 44

I find that folks will want to help themselves to cupcakes (or any finger/pickup food) when they see them. I recently did cake for a wedding, Memorial Day weekend. The groom had asked for a "cupcake wedding cake", but the bride wanted a tiered cake. The groom is army reserve and he was shipping out to Iraq 5 days after the wedding. The bride and I decided to surprise him with an american flag made with cupcakes. I did not deliver this with the cake. When I came back to the reception and was placing the cupcake flag on the table, two people walked by and said " OOOHH cupcakes.. lets take one now before everyone else gets to them". I very politely said.. NO YOU WONT! This is for the groom and he hasn't even seen it yet! go figure! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:03am
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmom

I believe flaming pudding also used to be in fashion.

What do you mean "used" to be in fashion? That's the highlight of my mom's Christmas dinner. At least for her siblings. Oh, I see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%