Do You Have A Separate Phone Line?

Business By vagostino Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 12:52pm by mommicakes

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 12

Hi! I'm in the middle of becoming licenced and i'm trying to set up a bunch of things...among them my phone situation. Do you have a separate phone line? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the expense in the beginning since i expect maybe 1 call a month icon_cry.gif
Once you start adding the costs of insurance, permits, kitchen set up, website etc...i'm wondering what things can be done in the future and what do i need righ now.

11 replies
alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 12

Right now I am just doing this as a side "job". I use my cell phone for any business or email. I set up a free email account and use that. I also went to www.freewebs.com and set up a website.

vagostino Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about using my cell phone as my business phone but the problem is that i don;t get cell phone signal in the house so i'll be missing all those calls and that is not very professional.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 12

I've read on this forum that allot of ppl dont even put there phone number on websites. They give there email address because to many ppl would call or they would have to call back so many ppl. You could try starting off with just the website and I know that with the one I mentioned above when you create your website it has a page for "contacting" you. You could put that because of high call volume you prefer that they contact you by email. Just a thought.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 12

I think its completely UNPROFESSIONAL not to have a phone number on your Web site. yes, I love email, but if I nothing beats talking to a real person.

My sister has her cell phone and then just uses her regular house phone (she has an equipment rental business). They answering machine is not some cutey family thing, rather a professional one. And she has caller ID, so she knows to answer according when a number she doesn't recognize pops up.

Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #6 of 12

I have a separate line for my cake shop.....and I keep the extra shop line phone in the house in our computer room. I found back when I started out using my home phone number.....I got so many interruptions on our phone...and my husband got tired of the later night phone calls on our regular line. When the shop line rings....I let it ring and the answering machine pick it up if it's past shop hours. I just think if you can afford to set up a phone line just for your cake business...it's more professional and helps to not tie up your home phone.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 12

separate phone number for business is much more professional.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:18am
post #8 of 12

I have a phone in my shop. I check my messages often if I am not there. I decided early on I was not going to give customers my cell number. I am very happy I have stuck with that decision. I have a phone with a message machine and I tell customers I check it often. I also have two email addresses and a website. They can reach me if they need and want to.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:29pm
post #9 of 12

I have a SKYPE phone devoted just for my business. has voicemail, call forwarding, and more. As a back up, I use my cell phone, (but cell signal here at my house is pretty rotten). I wanted something specifically for the business so the kids weren't running for the phone & answering it.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 12

I have a separate phone line for my business even though I run it out of my house. It has actually been very helpful because in my area it costs the same amount of money for a small business line as it does for a regular line and you get your number in the yellow pages for free and also on yellowpages.com. I also played nice with the woman at the phone company and she was able to get me 773-CAKE as my phone number. People love that when they see it on my website and business cards and it's super easy to remembericon_smile.gif

vagostino Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 12

thanks for all the suggestions! I know that is unprofessional to not have some kind of separate phone line, my problem is that my cell phone doesn't work inside my house, and I really don't expect much business in the beginning so i'm trying to find a really cheap (or free!) way to get that second phone number! I'll look into the digital phones thanks!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:52pm
post #12 of 12

If you have a good internet connection you should look into a SKYPE phone. It cost me $90.00 for 1 year of service, a phone number that can be dialed from ANY phone, and you can call out. Only catch, it runs through my internet connection, (which finally they upgraded all the lines). It is on from the time the computer goes on at 6am until most likely 9pm. (you can shut it down any time) check it out. for $90 bucks a year, I couldn't beat it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%