What Is A Fur Tip? Airbrushing?

Decorating By kteacher027 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm by sweettoothmom

kteacher027 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 6

I'm new to cake decorating and love it! I want to make a dog cake for my dad. What is a "fur tip"? Is it a special kind of tip? What is "airbrushing"? If you could please help me, I would so appreciate it. Thank you! I LOVE this site!!!!

5 replies
APrettyCake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 6

A fur tip, also called the grass tip, I think is wilton tip 233. When used for fur, pulling away from the cake for 2-3 seconds then releasing will give you the look of animal fur. The longer you pull, the longer the fur. Same for grass.
Airbrushing is a technique that requires special equipment and food grade airbrush color. You need an airbrush system, you can find small ones at any cake supply store online. I use a KopyKake. Airbrushing does take some practice icon_smile.gif It is basically like a paint sprayer for cakes.

CakesByLJ Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, and welcome icon_smile.gif The fur tip is tip #233, which also is good for doing hair, grass and fur.. Airbrushing is done with an air compressor, and it uses air to spray food color onto your cake. hth

ASimpleBaker Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 6

I think a fir tip is the same kind of tip that makes grass. It has many little holes in the tip and comes in at leat a couple of sizes.

As for airbrushing, well I consider myself a newbie, but that is a play toy I purchased. It allows you to airbrush to color right on the cake or decoration (I secretly love this...he he he)

kteacher027 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you all for your responses and help!!

Kelly (kteacher027)

sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 6

I LOVE my airbrush. My sweet hubby bought me a kopykake set for my birthday a while back. It is fun fun.

If I can make one suggestion on airbrushing prep the surface well. Any imperfection will show and if you want a depth to the color tint your fondant or BC a shade lighter than the color you are going to use. It gives a liot of detail if you use it correctly and it does take alittle practice but the results are so nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%