Homemade Satin Ice Fondant...need Input!!!

Decorating By cakebaby59 Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 7:22am by milissasmom

cakebaby59 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:52am
post #1 of 9

I just made my first recipe of Satin Ice. I got the recipe here...Satin Ice (Fondant). I have not a clue what this stuff is supposed to be like as far as texture and so forth. Anybody make this before that can give me some input and tips on it? Thanks in advance...Linda

8 replies
ceshell Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:08am
post #2 of 9

I've not seen the Satin Ice recipe as I just thought that was a commercial brand of fondant; I can only speak for the texture of MMF. Regardless, any fondant should sort of have the texture of play-doh. It shouldn't be sticky but not too dry either. Check out some video tutorials of people rolling out fondant and putting it on cakes, it kind of gives you a visual on what the stuff should feel like. I mean, I know you can't feel it on video LOL but trust me my comprehension of fondant increased tenfold after watching it manipulated and applied to cakes.

Anyway maybe someone else who has made the specific recipe you're referring to can help out icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:05am
post #3 of 9

ummm . . .SatinIce is a brand name of a commercial, purchased fondant. It's very good, too.

foxymomma521 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:21am
post #4 of 9

I just looked and found this recipe. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2147-3-Satin-Icing--Fondant.html
Is this the one you used?

cakebaby59 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 9

Yep, that's it.

cakebaby59 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 9

I have never tried the commercial Satin Ice...I was just more or less curious so I made the recipe in the recipe section here. I was hoping that someone else had tried it and could give me an idea of what it was supposed to be like. This one definately does not have the same texture of say...marshmallow or Wilton fondant...but maybe i havn't kneaded it enough or something...??? It's a mystery...LOL Thanks...Linda

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 9

That's pretty much a recipe for a rolled buttercream--it's missing the corn syrup, though. I'd be leary of using it for any large application, quite honestly.

I would NEVER call that a fondant. It has nothing in it to contribute to stretch, etc. I wouldn't expect it to act like any type of rolled fondant, either MMF or a commercial product.

You may find that you like it for something, but be careful in warm weather because that recipe will melt very, very quickly.

HTH
Rae

cakebaby59 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:33am
post #8 of 9

Well...your right...it melted...LOL!!!
I sure wondered about it when I was making it...but I thought maybe cooking it would have something to do with the process of making it more like fondant...that's what I get for thinking!!! Thanks yall...Linda

milissasmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:22am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

ummm . . .SatinIce is a brand name of a commercial, purchased fondant. It's very good, too.

Um hm...I second that! It's pretty much all I use. The recipe you used is called Satin Icing (Fondant)!!!!!!!! Please do not confuse the two...I would HATE for you or any other member who has not tried Satin Ice to get a negative view of this wonderful product. You should try buying a small bucket of Satin Ice from Globalsugarart while it's still on sale icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%