Wedding Cake Request....tips

Decorating By korine Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 11:08pm by lardbutt

korine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korine Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:35am
post #1 of 15

Hi all, I have been asked by my step sister inlaw to make her wedding cake, on the 30th icon_surprised.gif She has asked me to make a 3 tier cake, with ivory buttercream, she plans to put flowers on it. But she also wants me to do a golf hole cake and somehow conect the two and use her cake topper with the bride dragging the groom. She wants it to look like she is dragging him from the golf course to the wedding cake. I have some ideas but would love some help. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!
oh, and there will only be about 100 guests. icon_smile.gif

14 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #2 of 15

Maybe have the bride dragging the groom off of the golf cake.....kinda like towards the main cake......clubs, balls, flags laying around maybe a golf club in or around his hand?

Have the main cake top look like it's ready for them but their not there yet.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:15am
post #3 of 15

A cool idea that comes to mind, while trying to incorporate the specific topper you're mentioning, is a "double-decorated" cake-- half decorated the way that the bride wants, in the bride's flavors, and the other half the groom's cake in groom's flavors. Picture a 14-10-6 stacked (which would serve somewhere in the ballpark of 115, not including the top 6" keepsake tier), with the division of design going straight down the middle, up and down.

That way, the bride appears to be literally "dragging" her new hubby from his golf course side to the wedding side. The anniversary tier would preserve this sentiment, for a little bit of humor later on.

korine Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:02am
post #4 of 15

wow, those are great suggestions....I have no idea how to decorate a cake double sided....Have you done a cake like this? The idea came to mind but I wasn't sure I could pull it off.. icon_redface.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:43am
post #5 of 15

hmm first thought are to have the complete 3 tier wedding (13"11"9" round would give you 112 serves 12"9"6" square serves 100) then i would put a 'putting green cake' along side it with the bride dragging the groom halfway between the two or on the first tier like she is half way their or something. you could also put in drag marks on the two cakes and little things like stray golf clubs like hw has dropped them in the struggle, that way the bride still gets her beautifull wedding cake and the groom gets his golf course with out them impacting on each other to much the 'putting green' could then be their aniversay cake which would be fun and bring back lots of memories!! I would split a 9" square in two to nmake a long rectangle then carve to look like a pitting green or one hole of a golf course. just an idea

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:57am
post #6 of 15

I don't know how your modeling skills are but, I was thinking that if you could make the bride and grrom yourslef you can have the bride climbing onto her cake and dragging the grrom behind her while he's still mostly on his cake....the flexiblity of making them yourself could give you more to work with. I still love the ideas already posted...especially making the golf clubs and stuff to lay around. What would also be cute is to have a golf cart with a just married sign and cans on strings on the back.

This is a really great idea the bride has, I'd love to get creative like that!!

korine Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 15

Ya that had been my original idea, just to have them side by side. Just thought i would get some help brainstorming and see what else we could come up with. She has already purchased and dropped of the bride/groom cake topper. I would have love to do a few things with a fondant covered cake, which I feel more comfortable working with, but she wanted "something they could eat" icon_wink.gif

deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 15

you couls still do all your decprations on fondant/gumpaste even though thte cake is covered in buttercream, that way you will feel more confident in this area with a medium you are familiar with but the bride stilll gets her buttercream cake?

cupcakeco Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #9 of 15

I know that people usually balk at the idea of a double decorated cake, but considering the specific topper and design element this bride has in mind, I think that this is one of the few instances in which a cake doubly decorated could "work". It wouldn't be all that hard, technically speaking, to pull this off, the only caution I would reccomend is that you watch the intensity of the colors on the groom's side. The way I see the groom's cake decorated is in chocolate buttercream, with the tops of the cake ONLY decorated perhaps with a grass tip in a golf-course green to represent the course. The different tiers could have little objects strewn over the tops, a tipped over golf bag spilling out on one tier, a flag keeling over on another tier. A little bit of disarray to suggest that the Bride has been there... haha.

Another idea is to downsize the cakes a bit, make them identically tiered in size, and simply place them next to one another. Instead of centering the tiers, make them line up with the edge of the one below so you create a stair-case effect which meets in the middle, at the top...

Good luck with the cake, and keep us posted. This sounds like such a fun idea, and keep in mind that any bride who is willing to inject this kind of humor into her wedding cake and day will be more open to wild ideas...

ETA: How cool would it be if used a teeny-tiny bit of fondant to turn the groom on the topper from dressed and dapper to golf-course casual? It sounds hilarious and the perfect little touch!

korine Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks so much for all your great suggestions.....My mind is just turning, I just hope i dont' bite off more than I can chew with this one...hahah I'm going to throw all these ideas past her and see what she thinks. Again thank you for all your ideas, its helping me out alot! icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakeco Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 15

think this one through, gather your ideas and make some sketches for the bride. with this cake, it sounds like organization will be your best defense against cakejitters!

korine Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 15

Well I completed the golf/wedding cake last weekend, just thought I would share it with those of you who helped me witht he ideas!! icon_biggrin.gif thanks again so much for your help. Its in my photos if you want to have a peak!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:41pm
post #13 of 15

Really cute!

deliciously_decadent Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 15

nice job especially love the golf green!!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 15

You did a fabulous job! This was such a cute idea! Congratulations on a job well done!

MessyBaker

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%