What Do You Think?

Decorating By bafishr Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm by Aliwis000

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:14am
post #1 of 11

I recently saw an episode of Ace of Cakes where Duff made a bubble gum machine and used real bubble gum instead of fondant made ones.

My great-neice is having a movie theme bday party and I am going to make the popcorn and movie reel. My ? is: How would real popcorn taste on top of the cake? Just a thought icon_rolleyes.gif

10 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #2 of 11

I think it would taste great! A nice mixture of sweet and salty. I love eating popcorn with chocolate.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:25am
post #3 of 11

Ditto! Sweet. Salty. Scrumptious.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:33am
post #4 of 11

Me too! I think it will be cool. Please post the photos.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:42am
post #5 of 11

I agree it would be really cool.

I would simply make sure the popcorn is the last thing added to the cake, because if it sits on the cake it will attract and or absorb a lot of moisture.

Good luck.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 11

I did a popcorn cake for a church function, and it went over really well! One thing i did though was make the popcorn rk treat style so i could mold it however i want, plus it tasted even better!

I don't have the pictures on here ( at least i don't think so! icon_redface.gif ) but they are on my blog if you care to take a peek

good luck, I am sure it is going to be fabulous! icon_biggrin.gif

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 11

Could you maybe do a fondant bowl or those cute red/white stripe bags out of fondant and then fill them with real popcorn? That way it wouldn't affect the taste of the whole cake, but still be really cute.

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjay829

Could you maybe do a fondant bowl or those cute red/white stripe bags out of fondant and then fill them with real popcorn? That way it wouldn't affect the taste of the whole cake, but still be really cute.

I prefer this idea also. icon_smile.gif
The movie reel could be cake and the popcorn can be placed in fondant popcorn bags or a popcorn tub/bucket.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 11

Make sure you let the popcorn cool so you don't melt anything on the cake!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 11

A little off subject, but does anyone have instructions on how to make popcorn out of gumpaste/fondant? (I dont want to make them out of marshmellows...they are for a fake cake)

I love the idea of making a fondant bowl too and just filling it with popcorn! That would be cool!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelromi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjay829

I prefer this idea also. icon_smile.gif
The movie reel could be cake and the popcorn can be placed in fondant popcorn bags or a popcorn tub/bucket.

I like this idea too. I know that salty sweet is a good combo, as is seen in my thighs and butt, however I think it might be a texture thing. The texture of the cake/icing and popcorn dont seem to mix to me. Either way I know the cake will look great and we cant wait to see the pics!!!

~Alicia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%