Does Anyone Brush On A Simple Syrup?

Decorating By pkgurl Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 11:17pm by jules1719

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:02pm
post #31 of 42

I have used simple syrup, but am truly unsure as to how much to use. I put about a half cup on the cake (8" round, 3" high and a 6" round, 3" high, both layers torted). The cake was still dry. But, I didn't want to soak the cake...or was I supposed to. Thanks for the help!

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:03pm
post #32 of 42

Aprettycake, how much vanilla-almond do you use for the syrup? I did the WASC this past weekend for the 1st time and got great reviews. But the people here in Miami like the cakes more moist. If I use the simple syrup on WASC, I don't know the almond flavor to be toooo strong.

Ana

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:16pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa053103

Aprettycake, how much vanilla-almond do you use for the syrup? I did the WASC this past weekend for the 1st time and got great reviews. But the people here in Miami like the cakes more moist. If I use the simple syrup on WASC, I don't know the almond flavor to be toooo strong.

Ana

I made a batch of SS with 1c. sugar and 1c. water. I simmered mine for about 4-5 mins after it came to a boil, though. It got a little more "syrup-y" that way, which is what I wanted. Then I added 1tsp. good vanilla and 1/2 tsp. good almond extract. I used the whole recipe to brush on 2 10" layers and 2 8" layers of cake, since I did not want to soak it. I just wanted to add a little moistness.
They loved it icon_smile.gif I think it would be great on the WASC icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:19pm
post #34 of 42

I am new to cake central but I've been baking cakes to sell and for family for almost 20 yrs. I NEVER used any kind of syrup on any of my cakes in the past....I've always baked them fresh and never froze anything, so I always had moist cakes.
After joining this site last week, I read so much about brushing on a simple syrup, that I decided to give it a try.
I made a syrup of 1c water and 1c sugar with a tiny bit of almond extract. I used this on my 3 tier cake (14", 10" and 6") torted and filled. It didn't take the entire recipe of syrup.(I'd say I used about 1/3 cup total if that)
It's a rare occasion that I actually get to eat my cakes, but this was for a family party so I was able to cut and eat it.
I WILL NEVER EVER USE A SIMPLE SYRUP ON ANY OF MY CAKES AGAIN!!!
I couldn't stand how sweet it made the cake taste....I make a standard white cake from scratch and it's not a sweet cake normally, but it was sooooo sweet with the syrup on it. My advice is to try it on a cake for yourself first before you use it on one for a client. I must have apologized a hundred times yesterday and was quite embarassed to admit I baked that sugar bomb. My family immediately noticed the difference and asked me why I changed my recipe when they always loved it the way it was. Honestly the cake was no more moist with the syrup than it is without it. So be very careful when you do use any kind of syrup, experiment first. icon_cry.gif

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #35 of 42

Can a syrup "soaked" cake be covered with MMF?
I always feel like I should use syrup to get a moister cake, but then I am always afraid it spoils the fondant and end up never using it...

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:30pm
post #36 of 42

Dede Wilson suggests using the following:
1c. syrup for each 6" tier
1 1/4 c. for each 8" tier
1 1/2 for each 9" tier
2 1/2 for each 10" tier
And so on...

Can you imagine the sticky sweetness of using THAT much syrup? I think my recipe yielded 3/4 cup since I let mine simmer and evaporate some. Also, if the cake is only a day or 2 old, with natural moistness still going on, that may make a difference. The cake I made for the party was baked on Wed. and served on Sat. For my cakes, that is a long time!

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:56pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I am new to cake central but I've been baking cakes to sell and for family for almost 20 yrs. I NEVER used any kind of syrup on any of my cakes in the past....I've always baked them fresh and never froze anything, so I always had moist cakes.
After joining this site last week, I read so much about brushing on a simple syrup, that I decided to give it a try.
I made a syrup of 1c water and 1c sugar with a tiny bit of almond extract. I used this on my 3 tier cake (14", 10" and 6") torted and filled. It didn't take the entire recipe of syrup.(I'd say I used about 1/3 cup total if that)
It's a rare occasion that I actually get to eat my cakes, but this was for a family party so I was able to cut and eat it.
I WILL NEVER EVER USE A SIMPLE SYRUP ON ANY OF MY CAKES AGAIN!!!
I couldn't stand how sweet it made the cake taste....I make a standard white cake from scratch and it's not a sweet cake normally, but it was sooooo sweet with the syrup on it. My advice is to try it on a cake for yourself first before you use it on one for a client. I must have apologized a hundred times yesterday and was quite embarassed to admit I baked that sugar bomb. My family immediately noticed the difference and asked me why I changed my recipe when they always loved it the way it was. Honestly the cake was no more moist with the syrup than it is without it. So be very careful when you do use any kind of syrup, experiment first. icon_cry.gif

I can't imagine a simple syrup making a cake too sweet to eat. I guess it depends on your recipe, but in all my baking, I've never found this to be the case. I suppose if the total package, cake and frosting, were hyper-sweet, simple syrup will just make it worse. Done properly, flavored syrups are another way to add moisture and flavor to your cakes. But, you are right, maybe it is best to experiment.

The Cake Bible also has a great chart on how much to use etc etc. But i find a quick soak with a pastry brush is just enough.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #38 of 42

Jules1719,
A quick brush of the syrup WAS all I applied to my cake layers, I by no means soaked the layers, and I used the syrup recipe that is recommended on this site by MANY bakers.
My cake is a very plain "poundcake type" classic wedding cake recipe, the sweetness always comes from whatever frosting I use, which is very similar to indydebs "Buttercream Dream" recipe.
I am the youngest of 8 children and believe me my siblings and their families have had many of my cakes over the years, (this cake has been the wedding cake for 14 of my nieces and nephews.) They are my biggest critics, which I appreciate....I'd rather have screwed up a recipe on family than a paying customer.....their much more forgiving.
It's definitely a matter of taste here. I think many people are used to the sweetness of cake mixes nowadays, and they are probably the people who enjoy the addition of a syrup on a cake. Maybe when used on layers that are baked ahead and frozen the outcome is different....as I said earlier I don't freeze my layers and that may be the difference of the outcome.[/quote]

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #39 of 42

I don't brush. I use a light mist in a spray bottle for an even better control. Brushes don't distribute even, to me.

Controlling, icon_twisted.gif

cakeymom

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:35pm
post #40 of 42

Using a spray bottle would be a great idea. I usually use a brush & add a small amt. over the entire surface. Last wkend I made a choc. 6in square cake(5in tall) with 3 layers & used a little over an 1/8 of a cup of ss. I guess it would be a matter of taste. I've had no complaints so far, only rave reviews. I've tasted my cakes with & without ss, & I prefer it with ss.

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:45pm
post #41 of 42

You can get an idea of how much in this video. By the minute 2.25'

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:17pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Jules1719,
A quick brush of the syrup WAS all I applied to my cake layers, I by no means soaked the layers, and I used the syrup recipe that is recommended on this site by MANY bakers.
My cake is a very plain "poundcake type" classic wedding cake recipe, the sweetness always comes from whatever frosting I use, which is very similar to indydebs "Buttercream Dream" recipe.
I am the youngest of 8 children and believe me my siblings and their families have had many of my cakes over the years, (this cake has been the wedding cake for 14 of my nieces and nephews.) They are my biggest critics, which I appreciate....I'd rather have screwed up a recipe on family than a paying customer.....their much more forgiving.
It's definitely a matter of taste here. I think many people are used to the sweetness of cake mixes nowadays, and they are probably the people who enjoy the addition of a syrup on a cake. Maybe when used on layers that are baked ahead and frozen the outcome is different....as I said earlier I don't freeze my layers and that may be the difference of the outcome.

[/quote]

I understand, I was thinking out loud... err.. typing out loud??!

I just can't imagine the syrup making it so sweet is all. (FWIW, I don't use mixes.) I agree, it's personal preference, but I have never had this problem so it's a mystery to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%