Ha Ha Craigslist

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm by Mac

foxymomma521 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 35

Wedding Cake Designer (Lancaster/Cheektowaga/Depew/West Seneca)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2008-08-05, 1:48AM EDT

Found on my local craigslist, another one to add to the list of delusional brides:

I need:

-A qualified cake designer to make my cake for my Wedding in August 2009.
Must Have:
-at least 4 years experience
-a portfolio of photos of past clients' designs by you
-flexibility and creative skills
-be able to work with my budget of $200

Payment upson delivery

icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

34 replies
Mac Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 35

I think her location is a little off.

Should be more like Never-neverland with Peter Pan!!!

indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 35

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I read this to hubby and it's so funny as HE spouts "Holy sh**!! What is her problem! Holy sh**!"

Sounds like a Little Girl is trying to pretend she's all grown up, by abiding by all the magz advice and TELLING her vendors how it's going to be.

(And I wonder what's so magical about 4 years experience? icon_confused.gif )

foxymomma521 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:06am
post #4 of 35

I think my favorite part is the "Payment upson delivery" !!!!

akgirl10 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #5 of 35

I don't know, if she only needs ten servings I'm sure she'll find someone to make her cake, lol.

jukesbox Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 35

I 'bout spit my drink all over my computer! "Work with my budget of $200" -- my a**!! She'd better start making it herself! Probably had to put it on Craigslist because all the other decorators she talked to laughed her out the door!

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 35

The city I live in is broke a$$ city and I always see ads on Craigslist looking for people to "sponsor" weddings...in other words, donate toward some stranger's wedding. That take some balls to ask for...I mean, if you don't have money for a fancy wedding, have a plain wedding.

indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:21am
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The city I live in is broke a$$ city and I always see ads on Craigslist looking for people to "sponsor" weddings...in other words, donate toward some stranger's wedding. That take some balls to ask for...I mean, if you don't have money for a fancy wedding, have a plain wedding.

I remember when "sponsoring" a wedding TRIED to become the big fad. "Look at how many people will see your wedding cake!"

Got news for ya, toots! The same number of people will see my cake whether it's free or paid! icon_mad.gif

apetricek Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #9 of 35

walmart anyone??? I am sure they have at least 4 years experience right? icon_lol.gif Are you friggin' kidding me? My husband laughed too, he said she must want a 1 tiered cake then!

lalakanosho Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:47am
post #10 of 35

Maybe she wants a mini wedding cake for $200, but definitely not with a "payment on delivery" attitude. She'll probably find something wrong with it and refuse to pay, in which case i'd be taking my cake with me right out the door! I agree with the previous comment, all the other decorators probably laughed her out the door!

mcook1670 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #11 of 35

she should go to her local grocery store for that price or learn to make cakes

jamhays Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:02am
post #12 of 35

LOL! This chick is NUTS!

Even my husband said "Tell her, Here's the number to WalMart".

Swede-cakes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #13 of 35

Easy Bake Oven, anyone? icon_wink.gif

Seriously, there was a similar ad on my local CL back in July. It read, "Hi, we are getting married on Aug. 30. We are looking for someone who is experienced in cake making, but that does not charge a fortune. We have a very very tight budget. Can anyone help, please??????????"

Curiosity got the best of me, and I emailed them. They wanted a 3-tier wedding cake in marble or mix and match flavors, to feed approx. 100 people at an evening wedding.

Wait........
for.........
it..........

Budget is $125-$150.

I politely emailed them back with the suggestion of heading over to Sam's or Walmart.

TandTHarrell Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:20am
post #14 of 35

I would do it !!!!
I only paid $120.00 for my wedding cake, it was 3 tier.
It was a very nice and tasty cake.
Im not that experience in cake decorating.
I just did 2 cakes , and 1 dozen cupcakes and I took off $10.00.
Today, she ask if I would do 10 1/2 sheet cakes,nothing fancy.
The cake need to feed at least 400 people. I said all of that to say you never know when your blessing will come...

ailika Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:40am
post #15 of 35

I thought this was Hysterical!!!

jamhays Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:41am
post #16 of 35

The price is not the issue (yet), because she didn't specify what kind of cake she wanted.

The issue I had was the "payment upon delivery" part. Why would I go out & spend $$ for ingredients and have no idea whether or not I would ever receive my payment? Especially when dealing with a stranger. How do you know she's not going to say "that's not what I wanted so I'm not going to pay you", when you go to deliver?

indydebi Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #17 of 35

Just for the heck of it, I went to the Indpls CL to see what kind of stuff I'd find there. I went into the "wanted" catetory, typed in "wedding" in the search field and I was AMAZED at how many people are on there just flat asking for free stuff (uh..... I mean "donations") for their wedding! I mean oh my gosh, they start out with "we're getting married and we need everything ...." then they start listing everything from pew bows to wedding gowns!! icon_surprised.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:45am
post #18 of 35

There was an ad on Houstons CL requesting a "simple 4-5 teir wedding cake for $150!

But what gets me is the payment on delivery, not even Walmart will do that!

TandTHarrell Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:58am
post #19 of 35

Yes you have a point. I agree 100%..

gateaux Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:08am
post #20 of 35

It's amazing that these people are asking stangers for items to celebrating their wedding.

We are visiting Winnipeg Canada at the moment and here they have "Socials" 2-10 months maybe a bit more of less before the wedding. A "Social" is a big Party where the people that put the Event together get a permit, rent a hall, get a DJ, buy some Beer and other liquors to sell.
They sell tickets at the door say $10-$15 maybe more per person and then they sell tickets for the drinks and then they sell tickets for an auction... sometimes they get items donated by family members or friends other times they buy them. In the end you round up eveything and figure out that you can make at least $1,000 and some have made up to $10,000 in 1 evening. Then they use this money to help pay for the wedding.

14 years ago I knew of a bride who was on her 4th social (4th guy) I think she had it all worked out and was just running away with the cash and then comming back for more ....

Anyhow, that was then for us and I am not sure I would ever do that for anyone else... I put a few of these together for friends and it's a lot of work.

I am all for donating what we dont need anymore and re-using and recycling. It just seems weird to me that people are asking for it up front.

I just think that if you dont have the money to put a big wedding together. Then dont and you can make a small party with friends and family.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck.

tonedna Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif and!..... icon_lol.gif

dinas27 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:49pm
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

It's amazing that these people are asking stangers for items to celebrating their wedding.

We are visiting Winnipeg Canada at the moment and here they have "Socials" 2-10 months maybe a bit more of less before the wedding. A "Social" is a big Party where the people that put the Event together get a permit, rent a hall, get a DJ, buy some Beer and other liquors to sell.
They sell tickets at the door say $10-$15 maybe more per person and then they sell tickets for the drinks and then they sell tickets for an auction... sometimes they get items donated by family members or friends other times they buy them. In the end you round up eveything and figure out that you can make at least $1,000 and some have made up to $10,000 in 1 evening. Then they use this money to help pay for the wedding.

14 years ago I knew of a bride who was on her 4th social (4th guy) I think she had it all worked out and was just running away with the cash and then comming back for more ....

Anyhow, that was then for us and I am not sure I would ever do that for anyone else... I put a few of these together for friends and it's a lot of work.

I am all for donating what we dont need anymore and re-using and recycling. It just seems weird to me that people are asking for it up front.

I just think that if you dont have the money to put a big wedding together. Then dont and you can make a small party with friends and family.

Isn't that the strangest tradition! I spent a summer working in Winnipeg and thought it was ridiculous. Its only in Manitoba though that I have ever heard of this - and I'm from just over the border into Saskatchewan.

A wedding is not a charity event! A wedding is a marriage, not a party. Traditionaly showers were where the bride was 'showered' with gifts to start a new home, and gifts at the wedding were sentimental tokens.

I can understand having a budget and very nice weddings can be done on a small budget - like mine. But clearly this bride has been to bakeries and their quotes are just not getting through to her. My costs would be almost as much as she wants to pay! Like I said - weddings are not charity events. I choose to donate my time and resources to the truely less fortunate.

ccr03 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:49pm
post #23 of 35

People, people, I have got the icing on teh cake!!!

I honestly cannot think of ONE wedding or quinceanera in at least the past 10 years that a single couple from my village has paid for by themselves - or even just their families.
Yes, we all know each, but they have started to ask for padrinos "sponsors" for EVERYTHING. We once counted them up (a list of sponsors is included in the invitation) and I promise you there were 117 padrinos! And it at LEAST $100 each. Bascially what they'll do come up to you and say "Hey, how you doing? You know my son/daughter is having a wedding/quinceanera, could you help?" Since we're all from teh same village and friends/acquaintances on some level so you really can't say no. Well about two weeks before they'll hunt you down to let you know how much you 'owe'

Now, I just add that I find it COMPLETELY different if people OFFER to help out. My uncles and dad's best friends OFFERED their help for my sisters' weddings.

indydebi Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #24 of 35

This isn't about cakes, but since I've now discovered that craigslist is SO entertaining, check out this one: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/wan/789173660.html

People will ask for ANYTHING on CL!! Let's all not rush at once to reply to this one, ok? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(And btw, the town this person is from is considered somewhat "affluent" around here!)

foxymomma521 Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 11:10am
post #25 of 35

OMG!! I sincerely hope nobody is dumb enough to sign that! As a former bill collector I can see soooooooo many bad things to come if someone does! Pay cash?? Why don't they just put that towards the car, or better yet buy a car within their budget! Some people really make me wonder...

gateaux Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:20am
post #26 of 35

There are just no words to express what I want to say about that add at the moment and nothing else I would say would be nice in anyway.

So let's just leave it at this: They want a new car they cannot afford and have figured out that maybe if they ask they will receive it on silver platter to go with that spoon.

Not on our watch!

Good Luck.

Mac Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:38am
post #27 of 35

Wait???? Is that my sister????

Nah--Too far away!

Lady_Phoenix Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 4:59am
post #28 of 35

There is a woman who has been thrown off the local freecycle group for constantly asking for things. She is now in the Lousivlle group where she has asked for a wedding gown, veil, bridemaids dresses, linens, cutlery etc... She also asked me for her cake... free. All I could do was laugh in her face.

Cyndi1207 Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 5:09am
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

People, people, I have got the icing on teh cake!!!

I honestly cannot think of ONE wedding or quinceanera in at least the past 10 years that a single couple from my village has paid for by themselves - or even just their families.
Yes, we all know each, but they have started to ask for padrinos "sponsors" for EVERYTHING. We once counted them up (a list of sponsors is included in the invitation) and I promise you there were 117 padrinos! And it at LEAST $100 each. Bascially what they'll do come up to you and say "Hey, how you doing? You know my son/daughter is having a wedding/quinceanera, could you help?" Since we're all from teh same village and friends/acquaintances on some level so you really can't say no. Well about two weeks before they'll hunt you down to let you know how much you 'owe'

Now, I just add that I find it COMPLETELY different if people OFFER to help out. My uncles and dad's best friends OFFERED their help for my sisters' weddings.

Oh yes........around here for both quinceneras and weddings there are padrinos and sponsors for everything. I've been a "sponsor" for some cousin's quinces but I definately let them know what I'm willing to contribute and consider that my gift as well. Call me cheap.......oh well.......i have four girls of my own and I can never imagine asking people to sponsor anything for them...........unless it's some kind of charity event (marathons....etc.)...........which in that case I still pretty much sponsor it on my own.

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 8:37am
post #30 of 35

Here's another great Craigslist one: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/wan/792957339.html

She started posting at the beginning of July. First it was "Oh, look at the cake I made for my son," then she started advertising "orders needed for professional cakes" with photos she had taken from different places. I pointed out to her that it wasn't very wise to post photos that have the Knot watermark and claim them as her own work...so after that she quit using photos from the Knot and started taking them from other places. In her ad for her "classes" she has a photo she copied from another website. That seems especially misleading. She and her husband used to own a restaurant (no, I don't know her...but she posted her address in her ad, and from that I could look up her name, DOB, husband's name, DBA's in the county, etc) , so I know she's aware of the food establishment rules in the city.

My husband teases me that I am the self-appointed Craigslist Cake Police. icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif I don't go looking...it's that darn photographic cake memory icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%