Spray A Cake Silver?

Decorating By Briniga Updated 10 Aug 2008 , 11:06pm by kyhendry

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 12

I want to spray a cake silver, but what do I use in my airgun?

11 replies
Briniga Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone??

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 12

You can use Nu-silver luster dust mixed with a clear extract of alcohol. Remember of things to keep in mind:

Depending on you aribrush, it may get clogged with the dust mixture. If you think it down well, you may reduce the risk, but make sure you clean it well right when you are finished.

Nu-Silver will not give you a high silver sheen like a your good silver flatware, but it will be a good silver, nontheless.

HTH

Briniga Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 12

Ok, I have moonstar silver by CK produsts, its really silver, will that work with the alcohol?

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 12

They make a silver airbrush color that works really well. The one I have is AmeriColor Silver Sheen.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 12

Sure the moostar could work! icon_biggrin.gif

And ACK!! Totally forgot about those new Americolors--DUH! I even want to buy some! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 12

If you dont want to use alcohol you can use lemon juice too. Just make sure it has no pulp in it. I use the platic bottled juice shaped like a little lemon sometimes or vodka. Not the good expensive vodka mind you hee hee that would be way too tempting.
Also just a thought on color you may want to start with gray fondant or BC and then add the silver. it will help give it some depth and dimension.

Briniga Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 12

Ok I just used the silver & lemon juice (no pulp) it did not work at all...did I do something wrong?

kyhendry Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 12

I think the liquid that you mix the dust with needs to be an alcohol base so that it dries fast. I heard that water or lemon juice will just melt the fondant.

Try lemon extract (actually has a higher alcohol content than vodka) if you don't want to use vodka or everclear (personally I always have Vodka on hand for when I'm done with the cakes - haha). Good luck.

Briniga Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 12

Ok, actually I dont have lemon extract right now, but I'll get some later, but would vanilla or banana extract work?

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 12

I use lucks silver. they have gold, silver and pearl. I thin it down to 2 or 3 parts bottled water to 1 part lucks in a small container. It clogs if I try to use it straight. They have a website I think. Never did a whole cake. Just stencils of little things. I love airbrushing though. It separates between uses and youu have to shake it a LOT to get it to remix. Just a fyi. I may try the other things suggested here next time. It is a pretty silver, though.

kyhendry Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briniga

Ok, actually I dont have lemon extract right now, but I'll get some later, but would vanilla or banana extract work?

They should work since they have the alcohol content. I don't know if the vanilla will affect the color (unless it's clear).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%