Tier Heights On Mini Wedding Cake?

Decorating By biancas_mommy Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 10:52pm by biancas_mommy

biancas_mommy Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 5

My hubby and I are renewing our vows in a couple weeks and of course I'm doing my own cake. icon_smile.gif it's going to be a small ceremony, only about 40 people, but i want to do a 3-tier cake. i thought i'd do small tiers, 8", 6", and 4", for a sort of "miniature" wedding cake look. but should my tiers still be 4" high? will that look funky? seems like the top tier especially would look odd since it's only 4" in diameter and it would be as tall as it is wide.

what do you guys think? should i just bake single layers and torte them for like a 2-3" tier? or stick with the two-layer, 4"?

TIA!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 5

I think you might need a little bit more cake than you're planning on to feed 40 guests...a 6 inch and an 8 inch will feed 23 people, and I think the 4 inch would feed 4 people...

So maybe a 10, an 8 and a 6, normal height.

I made an 8, 6, 4 cake for my sister's birthday and the tiers were a normal height, and it didn't look weird at all icon_biggrin.gif

biancas_mommy Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 5

really? i was going by wilton party servings, which says a 6 and 8 will serve 32 people, not 23. 12 servings from the 6 and 20 from the 8. so i figured we could get the extra 8 from the 4", based on 12 servings in a 6"...am i wrong? LOL i just reread that and that's a lot of numbers...

6" = 12 servings
8" = 20 servings
4" = estimated 8 servings

i guess 8 does seem like a lot for that little 4" cake! huh. plus now that you mention it...if i don't do 4" tiers that's even fewer servings!

thanks...i'll have to rethink this. icon_smile.gif i just hate when you have like, huge amounts of cake left over after the party. but i guess that's better than running out!

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 5

I might be wrong too...I was going by Earlene's chart http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm which says that a 6 inch has 8 servings and an 8 inch has 15, which is where I came up with 23. I guessed on the 4".

biancas_mommy Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 5

well i guess that makes sense...earlene's servings are more generous than wilton's. thanks for bringing my attention to it though! knowing me i'd have just whipped up my little cake and been dumbfounded when there wasn't enough. icon_smile.gif maybe i'd better do a 10, 8, 6 like you suggested. thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%