Add An Extra Layer For Balance -For Free?

Decorating By BCo Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 4:02am by dandelion56602

BCo Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 12

I have someone at work that is getting married and I'm doing her cake. She isn't having a huge wedding and the cake tiers are 10" and 8" - now I think this will look to squatty (is that a word? icon_confused.gif ) so I was thinking about just adding a 6inch tier to balance it out. I told her that I would just make her an anniversary layer when her anniversary comes around so she wouldn't need to save the top tier (although I guess that would have been a better choice for her to do it that way - but I told her I would make a fresh cake for her anniversary next year) So I guess I was wondering if you have ever or would you go ahead and just add that third tier for balance/design sake for free?

thanks so much

11 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 12

I think its what makes you comfitable, i know what you mean by balance what till a bride wont supply you with flowers to go on top of the cake and you know it needs something , But first of all take in consideration how much your charging her and remember if word gets out with other co-workers they may want the same deal,

dinas27 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 12

It is not your responsibility to provide extra cake for free. You can make a design recommendation but ultimately the bride decides what she wants/is willing to pay for.

I have seen many beautiful two tiered wedding cakes - if you think that it will look 'squatty' suggest a cake stand to the bride to make the whole cake higher. These can be rented or made very inexpensively with fabric.

Depending on the cake design you could also add a seperation between the tiers with flowers, pillars, wine glasses etc

You could also add interest by having the tiers different heights. There are many examples on the internet (the Bronze cake in my photos is also an example, also placed on a cake stand for height)

BCo Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 12

I know -that's why I'm torn, she supplied me with all the ribbon and the monogram toppers and it's really not a very involved design. The OCD side of me just seems to be kicking in and telling me to make sure it looks right regardless but the salesperson side of me (which isn't a very strong side I might add! icon_smile.gif says well, she's getting what she paid for!!! I'll play around with the cake pans tonight - maybe I can come up with something else so it seems more balanced! Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking it will be!

Maybe I'll tell her that I threw in the Anniversary tier anyway for balance sake. I can't go back on what I told her so I have to either eat the cost or not do it at all!

Thanks for the reply -

pinklesley1 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 12

you can add a dummy tier... either to the bottom or to the top.. its less of an expense for you and her...

aswartzw Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 12

No, I wouldn't. I would contact her and tell her that upon further consideration, that the cake might look awkward and you suggest another tier. Then say you can either make this the free cake you offered for next year instead or she can make up her mind to alter the design and pay you for it.

CambriasCakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 12

I would do it for her if it was someone I worked with (and liked!!). It's only a could always do a 6" cake dummy if she really doesn't need the extra cake. I know those aren't much cheaper to make but it's just a thought.

BCo Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 12

thanks guys - I think I'm going to try to make the base a little bigger - unfortunitly I don't have a dummy tier in a 6 inch size but I guess I could go to my cake store tomorrow and see what they have. But I think I'm just going to try to go with seeing what I can do with the base first. And you're right - it's not my problem - just trying to see if there were any other ideas out there that I might not have thought of yet!! I'm sure I can make it work!!!

If I do get a dummy tier do I just wrap it in plastic wrap first and then just ice it like normal? I've never used one for a customer before - I have only used one that I covered in fondant for practice for a class -and I didn't cover that one with anything underneath!!

The cake I'm making will be iced in buttercream.

thank you again!

FromScratch Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 12

I'm with aswartzw... call her and express your feeling about it and ask her what she would like to do. Give her the option of getting the anniversary tier now or paying for the 10 extra servings and still getting the anniversary tier later.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 12

I think you should bring it up to her.

Tell her that you think the cake won't look quite right, and that she can choose to have it as designed, take it with her free anniversary cake on top now, or pay for an extra 6" round on top.

When I got married, my cake was included in our package, but was done by a reputable bakery in the city. I wish somebody had approached me about it needing an extra layer, because as it was, to feed the number we needed, it ended up a 4 tier (8, 10, 12, 14) with an 8" round on top - our anniversary cake! I gladly would have paid the difference so my cake didn't look fat and out of proportion... And we didn't end up with a freakin' HUGE cake to put in the freezer for year.

terrylee Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 12

I would talk to her and tell her how you feel. I'm sure she will understand the extra cost. Balance is important, and sometime extra cake is a good for the day after, you may still have relatives or guests to feed.

I sometimes offer a free fresh cake on their 1st anniversary. Eat the top cake. yukky when frozen.

dandelion56602 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 4:02am
post #12 of 12

i would express to her how odd it would look. Take your pans or dummies & stack them for her & show her the difference between the 3 & 2 tiered.

You could 1) offer her the anniversary tier now 2) Suggest the 6" 3) Do a dummy for a discount (maybe 1/2 the price of a 6" cake since you do still have to decorate)

I wouldn't do it w/out her knowing. Could you imagine expecting a 2 tier & seeing a 3 tier? Or wondering why you did that. And there is the possibility others would expect it as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%