Chili Cook Off. Need To Provide Dessert???

Decorating By thedessertdiva Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm by Honeydukes

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 12

What sounds like a good single serving dessert to have at a chili cook off? I was thinking brownies or cheesecake pops, but what do you all think?

11 replies
melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 12

Lemon bars would be good to cool off those burning taste-buds and have a nice tang to them.

Cupcakes are always nice and easy to deal with. Mini cupcakes are good, too. Easier than making cheesecake bites, although anything sounds good.

Cookies are always popular, too, if you want to go a simpler route.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 12

Oo...lemon bars would be a good sweet finish. I happen to have a great candied ginger lemon bar that I can make and square up ahead of time.

Anything else?

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 12

I'll tell you what NOT to serve...Chili Chocolate Cookies. I decided to experiment one day with some things in the cabinet. I think I went a bit overboard on this one. I made some chocolate cookies, with white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips, added some cinnamon for kick, and then thought...let's kick it up a notch...let's add chili powder. (Why not, I add cocoa powder to my chili!) The taste was not so bad...I kind of liked the kick, but the texture was really grainy. I would make them again, with the cinnamon, but not the chili powder. At any rate...I would NOT recommend them to anyone... LOL

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 12

That's too funny.

I have seen people use chocolate and peppers together, it's supposed to be good.

I've never tried it but maybe some liquid essence would have been a better route. Seems strange to me but I see chocolates with chipotle and other hot spices added to it and people seem to like it.

I'll have to give it a shot one day.

I found a recipe for Tex-Mex brownies that has red pepper in it.
http://www.recipezaar.com/112205

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 12

Whenever I serve chili, I always make a lemon icebox pie. My family loves coolness of the lemon after the heat of the chili.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 12

I think the lemon bars are an excellent idea. Very refreshing! Lime coolers or lemon meltaways would be easy cookies to make. I don't know the atmosphere, but I'd be tempted to make some limoncello or mojito Jello shots. icon_biggrin.gif
http://fatandhappyblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/mojito-jello-shots.html

That's so weird, bambuf. I've added chili powder to both brownies and cookies and not had a problem with graininess. What kind of chili powder were you using?

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 12

Ditto on the lemon bars. A nice citrus break.

FYI, I learned several years, when I helped host a chili cookoff, that lime sherbet is a great palate cleanser between chili's for the judges.

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 12

Limeade cupcakes! They are so tasty. And just pick your fruity frosting! Lots of people like cherry...but raspberry is my personal favorite.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:11am
post #10 of 12

What about Banana Bars or a Snicker's or Butterfinger pie???

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 12

I actually make a Mexican Chocolate cupcake or cake - it's my sour cream chocolate cake with cinnamon and CAYENNE (not chili powder) pepper added to it. I like it heavy on the cinnamon, with just a half teaspoon of cayenne.

I put chili powder in it once by mistake and yes - it was nasty - didn't work at all. The cayenne adds some heat but not the smokiness.

As a dessert for chili - I'd keep it simple, like brownies or key lime bars (like lemon bars but with key lime juice).

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBoudoir

... The cayenne adds some heat but not the smokiness...

Try ground chipotle peppers or chipotle powder -- it will add a lovely smoky flavor. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%