Need Help With Ball Pan To Make Teapot, Need A Firm Cake Mix

Decorating By debster Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm by Loucinda

debster Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 4

Ok I'm having to make a tea pot from the large ball pan, Problem is I use boxed cakes which are lighter so I added the extender to it. The thing took forever to cook even with the flower nail.

Then I let it cool and flipped it and it broke into 4 pieces. Now what? Anyone have a tried and true recipe that will carve and hold up for a white cake? Thanks

3 replies
kbgieger Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4

I've done 3 teapots to date using the WASC with the ball pan. I didn't have any problem with the cake breaking.

You can do it! Good luck!

paulstonia Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:24am
post #3 of 4

Just a question, sorry no help here, how do you use the flower nail in the ball cake pan since the bottom is round?

Loucinda Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 4

Using the sports ball pan I use a pound cake type recipe - that pan is smaller and it seems like the denser cake holds the shape better. (and I typically use the WASC cake for every other cake I make!) A regular cake mix type cake I have found (through trial and error) is much too moist/soft to hold - fell apart everytime.

I also don't use a nail in this pan, I just make sure to fill it full enough so that I can trim it so that both tops are nice and even to fit together. It is the only pan I use to make the teapot cakes - they're a big hit, but they are not very big. It takes quite a while for it to bake too, I can't remember off the top of my head - but I think it was around an hour. (I bake at 325 in a convection oven)

Quote by @%username% on %date%