Combo Question

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm by alvarezmom

alvarezmom Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 12

I have a request for a chocolate cake with Blueberry filling. I've never tried this combo before or have eaten this. Have you? What would be a good filling for a chocolate cake? What about the cake for a blueberry filling?

11 replies
mariela_ms Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 12

Well, I've had chocolate cake and raspberry filling and I love it....I think it would taste good. sorry I can't be of much help!

sweetcravings Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 12

I've never had a blueberry filled choco cake. i would think the choco would overpower the blueberry flavor, but i dunno.
I think rasp, straw fillings are good with chocolate.
If you are a choco lover...choco cake with whipped choco ganache is fabulous.
If you want a lighter filling..white chocolate mousse filling is yummy and a favorite around here.

Blueberry filling i think would taste best with a white cake, or french vanilla. It would allow the blueberry flavor to shine.

HTH

tx_cupcake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 12

I've bought chocolate covered blueberries at the farmer's market and they are delish!
I don't know if that helps...

sweetcravings Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

I've bought chocolate covered blueberries at the farmer's market and they are delish!
I don't know if that helps...

I've never tried those...I bet that's one way i can get my son to eat blueberries everyday. icon_lol.gif They are sooo good for you.

tx_cupcake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 12

Chocolate makes everything better... except maybe broccoli. icon_wink.gif

alvarezmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for your help. I thought it would probably taste like a chocolate covered blueberry. The ladies husband wanted blueberry. I guess he likes them-I dunno. She said If I thought the blueberry wouldnt taste right then I could use something else. She ordered a 3tier cake...bottom tier is strawberry with pinapple filling, middle tier is lemon with strawberry (my favorite combo) and the top she wanted the chocolate with blueberry.

I have been wanting to try the ganache whipped filling but I have seen so many recipe variations that I wasnt sure which one to try...I want the most simple one.

jules1719 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 12

Personally, I don't think it's the best combination. It's difficult to get a true blueberry flavor into a buttercream so it's probably best if you make a blueberry filling from scratch. I think a deep, dark chocolate cake will overpower any blueberry flavor so maybe it's best to go for a lighter, chocolate sponge or butter cake.

Mizuki Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 12

I have a friend that always asks me to make the the weirdest cake/filling combinations! Every time I get ready to make her cake think "Eww! Gross!", but she always comes back raving about how good everything tastes, so...whatever! What she wants is what she gets, who am I to be the flavor police? icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

alvarezmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 12

Jules1719- I planned on using real fruit for the filling not butter cream. I make my fruit fillings from scratch.

jules1719 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 12

I wasn't sure, but that is the way to go. =) I've tried making blueberry buttercreams and failed miserably. You just can't get that elusive blueberry flavor.

Even with a yummy blueberry filling, I still think the chocolate is gonna kill it. Let us know how it goes.

alvarezmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 12

I only made the strawberry filling because it was so simple to make. I found it on the recipe forum. I dont recall who posted it, but it is so easy and SOOOO Good.

In case you were wondering here is the recipe

Strawberry filling

2 C strawberry's (I use fresh and cut them into pieces
1 C water
3/4 C granulated sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch (some times I have to use more to get it to thicken)

Boil water-add strawberries and sugar then corn starch. Let all boil then cool.

It really is a simple recipe. I had planned to use the same recipe for the blueberries. I figured it work the same.

I think the chocolate would overpower the filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%