Help On Wedding Order In 2 Days!

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:59am by lillicakes

mama5kiddos Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 5

I just got a "rush order" for a wedding cake (my first!), due in 2 DAYS! EEEK! The wedding coordinator said she would come pick up the cake so I dont have to deliver. I was planning on a 2 "tier" stacked cake, but had some questions...

Central dowel - Normally for this size of cake (12" bottom, 9" top tier) I just use dowels to support the 12", with a single cardboard cake plate under the 9" tier. Since the customer is going to pick the cake up, should I put a central dowel in the cake instead, for support? I havent ever done this before, will a central dowel GO THRU the cardboard cake seperator plate? Or do you think a cake this size is stable enough with just the dowels to support the weight?

Top tier - This is my first wedding cake order. I am unsure how to handle the "top tier" aka anniversary tier. Do customers usually REQUEST if they want one, or do they assume one is going to be included? I know some decorators give a "gift certificate" type thing, when the anniversary comes around they will bake a fresh tier for them, but I dont want to do that.

[b]Cake box?[/b] - HOW do you normally deliver (or have the customer pick up) a stacked tiered cake? Do you just have it on a stable cake board...or do you have to stick it in a box as well or something? The only tiered cakes i have made were for family, and I delivered using no box. What is the usual way to do this?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
lilyanddayne Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 5

I would call the coordinator and ask if they want a4 or 6 top anniversary tier, a 9 top tier seems awfully big. I will bet they are planning on cutting the 12 and 9. It is so easy to throw such a small cake in, that's what I would do.
But then again my first wedding cake isn't until December and it's for my bro.in law.

sari66 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 5

I would offer a six for the anniversary cake and send it with the wedding cake, as for the delivery you can get a wedding box to hold the cake or just make sure it's on a sturdy board then set it in the pickup car on non-skid mats

hth

mama5kiddos Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 5

THANKS to those who have replied!

I have already bought all ingredients/supplies for the cake. They requested it be a 2-tiered cake. I dont have any additional ingredients for the anniversary tier, I am thinking of just sending a "gift certificate" for like $10 off their next order or something. Since I dont have the stuff here (and it is too late now to make it) and they didnt specifically ASK for an anniversary tier, I wasnt sure.

The next wedding order I might be doing, the lady specifically ASKED for the top tier as her anniversary tier (not to be served), and she wants the bottom 2 to feed the rest of the people. I just assumed if they wanted the top tier like this, they would ask for it?

I am still hung up over the central dowel question though. I ended up torting the layers, so there is 4 layers on each tier. I would normally just dowel the bottom tier, and stack. But since the wedding coordinator is picking up the cake, I kinda want extra stability. I havent ever done a central dowel before, and am afraid I will split the cake down the center or something crazy. Is it TOO risky to just send her off with it only being doweled on the bottom tier?
It's a:
12" round tier, doweled, and a 8" square tier on top...4 torted layers. Bottom tier has mousse filling, top tier has cherry filling...not sure if that helps as far as stability goes.

lillicakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #5 of 5

Dowel the bottom layer to sup[port the top, as usual. Then sharpen one end of a longer dowel (long enough to go through both tiers). Just pound it into the cake with a clean (!) rubber mallet. It will go through the cardboard easy-peasy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%