Help On Wedding Order In 2 Days!

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 2:59am by lillicakes

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 5

I just got a "rush order" for a wedding cake (my first!), due in 2 DAYS! EEEK! The wedding coordinator said she would come pick up the cake so I dont have to deliver. I was planning on a 2 "tier" stacked cake, but had some questions...

Central dowel - Normally for this size of cake (12" bottom, 9" top tier) I just use dowels to support the 12", with a single cardboard cake plate under the 9" tier. Since the customer is going to pick the cake up, should I put a central dowel in the cake instead, for support? I havent ever done this before, will a central dowel GO THRU the cardboard cake seperator plate? Or do you think a cake this size is stable enough with just the dowels to support the weight?

Top tier - This is my first wedding cake order. I am unsure how to handle the "top tier" aka anniversary tier. Do customers usually REQUEST if they want one, or do they assume one is going to be included? I know some decorators give a "gift certificate" type thing, when the anniversary comes around they will bake a fresh tier for them, but I dont want to do that.

Cake box? - HOW do you normally deliver (or have the customer pick up) a stacked tiered cake? Do you just have it on a stable cake board...or do you have to stick it in a box as well or something? The only tiered cakes i have made were for family, and I delivered using no box. What is the usual way to do this?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 5

I would call the coordinator and ask if they want a4 or 6 top anniversary tier, a 9 top tier seems awfully big. I will bet they are planning on cutting the 12 and 9. It is so easy to throw such a small cake in, that's what I would do.
But then again my first wedding cake isn't until December and it's for my bro.in law.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 5

I would offer a six for the anniversary cake and send it with the wedding cake, as for the delivery you can get a wedding box to hold the cake or just make sure it's on a sturdy board then set it in the pickup car on non-skid mats

hth

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 5

THANKS to those who have replied!

I have already bought all ingredients/supplies for the cake. They requested it be a 2-tiered cake. I dont have any additional ingredients for the anniversary tier, I am thinking of just sending a "gift certificate" for like $10 off their next order or something. Since I dont have the stuff here (and it is too late now to make it) and they didnt specifically ASK for an anniversary tier, I wasnt sure.

The next wedding order I might be doing, the lady specifically ASKED for the top tier as her anniversary tier (not to be served), and she wants the bottom 2 to feed the rest of the people. I just assumed if they wanted the top tier like this, they would ask for it?

I am still hung up over the central dowel question though. I ended up torting the layers, so there is 4 layers on each tier. I would normally just dowel the bottom tier, and stack. But since the wedding coordinator is picking up the cake, I kinda want extra stability. I havent ever done a central dowel before, and am afraid I will split the cake down the center or something crazy. Is it TOO risky to just send her off with it only being doweled on the bottom tier?
It's a:
12" round tier, doweled, and a 8" square tier on top...4 torted layers. Bottom tier has mousse filling, top tier has cherry filling...not sure if that helps as far as stability goes.

lillicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillicakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #5 of 5

Dowel the bottom layer to sup[port the top, as usual. Then sharpen one end of a longer dowel (long enough to go through both tiers). Just pound it into the cake with a clean (!) rubber mallet. It will go through the cardboard easy-peasy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%