For Those Who Watch "challenge" On Fn

Decorating By doughdough Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 5:56pm by saramachen

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #61 of 92

Happy Birthday CakesByJen2 party.gifbirthday.gif

May your birthday wish come true.............

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:41pm
post #62 of 92

My mom's is today, too. 8-8-8! Cool!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #63 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezformom

My husband said one time that maybe her handband was too tight on her head!
Melissaicon_smile.gif

LMAO icon_lol.gif

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

But whats up with the headband?

Man, the 80's will never die!

*goes and puts on her jelly shoes*

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #65 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

I used to be the same way--about 4 yrs ago, I told my mom that I wanted a chocolate cake from a certain bakery here. She said, "Oh yours are much better." I refused to make my own cake. Well, got the cake. Now I make ALL my own birthday cakes. Besides tasting better, I get to pick the design AND have a new pic for my portfolio.

I'm with you on this one. I made my own b-day cake this year...3-tiered cake (chocolate w/ cookies-n-cream filling, red velvet, and raspberry w/ raspberry buttercream).
It was a blast...I got to pick my own flavors, my own design, and save my hubby $. I threw a dessert party so I wouldn't have to worry about who was going to eat all that cake. I need to post some pics.
So from here on out, unless my hubby will get the EXACT cake I want (bless his heart...he tries) I will make my own!

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:56pm
post #66 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

I used to be the same way--about 4 yrs ago, I told my mom that I wanted a chocolate cake from a certain bakery here. She said, "Oh yours are much better." I refused to make my own cake. Well, got the cake. Now I make ALL my own birthday cakes. Besides tasting better, I get to pick the design AND have a new pic for my portfolio.

I'm with you on this one. I made my own b-day cake this year...3-tiered cake (chocolate w/ cookies-n-cream filling, red velvet, and raspberry w/ raspberry buttercream).
It was a blast...I got to pick my own flavors, my own design, and save my hubby $. I threw a dessert party so I wouldn't have to worry about who was going to eat all that cake. I need to post some pics.
So from here on out, unless my hubby will get the EXACT cake I want (bless his heart...he tries) I will make my own!

Oooh I should do that! My bdays usually stink. Hmmm, what kinda cake do I want?

Mmmm, cake.

nannie Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 8:11pm
post #67 of 92

I always do my own cake (then again, I'm not a pro and only make about one a month)

for me it's a chance to try something new and it won't matter if it doesn't work out.

Mine is in October and I'm planning, white chocolate with raspberry filling, my first tilted cake and peony gum paste flowers

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:46pm
post #68 of 92

I'm turning 30 this year on Christmas, and am going to make a Pink Cake Box cake for myself. icon_wink.gif

nannie Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:57pm
post #69 of 92

maybe we should start a thread: "favourite birthday cakes we made for OURSELVES!!!"

icon_biggrin.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:11pm
post #70 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I'm turning 30 this year on Christmas, and am going to make a Pink Cake Box cake for myself. icon_wink.gif

I'm turning 30 in January! I haven't decided on a cake yet, but I know that I want to throw myself a party...or at least a nice night out with my DH & friends!

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:37am
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

Happy Birthday CakesByJen2 party.gifbirthday.gif

May your birthday wish come true.............

Thanks! Just got back from dinner at The Melting Pot and I'm so full...

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #72 of 92

*sigh* We were on vacation for my birthday this year, I didn't get to make myself a cake! We did get one from a bakery and as I'm standing in line a woman told me it was the best bakery in town. Hmmm, well, ok, their danishes were good icon_lol.gif I've heard of cakes tasting like chemicals but this is the first time I've actually had one. The frosting was extremely greasy, we had trouble washing it off even with soap and hot water!! My MIL said it would probably make a good moisturizer icon_lol.gif
For that cake challenge show, I'm still waiting for them to do a buttercream challenge! Who's with me?? Frost and decorate an entire cake with buttercream in 6 hours!!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:34am
post #73 of 92

I like the idea of a buttercream only challenge. Doing a great job with buttercream is pretty difficult. I am always impressed by a well done buttercream cake.

Would anyone else be willing to contact the Food Network with these ideas with me?

Michele

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:57am
post #74 of 92

Now, going back and keeping the original thread going, I like KV.

I think if they cannot accept criticism, then they should not enter in the competition. Those challengers are in it by invitation only. And it is not any violation if the customer is someone who is "privileged" and not someone who has "cancer" or someone who is less fortunate. FN can pick who they want.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:14am
post #75 of 92

Speaking as one who's done film editing--I have a degree in animation--and has never been to one of the competitions, I'm somewhat skeptical that she's really that horrible a person. With the ammount of film they get over a six hour period, they could make any one of those judges in any given challenge sound like Satan with a stick up his bum, even if they were more like an angel on Prozac in reality. From what I've seen of the challenges, they put maybe three or four comments from each judge throughout the show--and probably solicit those comments--and in a six or eight hour period, just four comments isn't very many to make. They probably get dozens, and pick the ones they want in the editing booth.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 10:24am
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

Now, going back and keeping the original thread going, I like KV.

I think if they cannot accept criticism, then they should not enter in the competition. Those challengers are in it by invitation only. And it is not any violation if the customer is someone who is "privileged" and not someone who has "cancer" or someone who is less fortunate. FN can pick who they want.

I have nothing against KV. She autographed a copy of her book for me at ICES - I was so embarrased to ask her icon_redface.gif She can be harsh, but I think every contest needs different points of view. The judges panel has to bring balance to the voting to result in the most fair standings.
Now that girl who had the birthday on a yacht - please! Spoiled brat to the n'th degree! Get an average person on there, please. They don't have to be sickly or living in poverty, but at least someone the audience can relate to. That episode was a joke.

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 11:28am
post #77 of 92

I saw that episode and I thought the girl with the pink hair should have won. I loved her cake. I think it's really cool that she and her husband work together. Wish my hubby liked to make cakes. icon_lol.gif I think KV is on there judging every time because they need that "Simon." In other words a critical "meanie" judge because they think that's what viewers want. Every judged show has that one judge you love to hate. I do wish they would change it up more though.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:15pm
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

... And it is not any violation if the customer is someone who is "privileged" and not someone who has "cancer" or someone who is less fortunate. FN can pick who they want.

I never said anything about anything being a "violation." I believe I said it would be a nice change to see them give a cake to a worthy cause/ organization. (I know people who've had cancer, but I'm not sure what "cancer" is.) Of course, Food Network can pick whomever they want.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #79 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Speaking as one who's done film editing--I have a degree in animation--and has never been to one of the competitions, I'm somewhat skeptical that she's really that horrible a person. With the ammount of film they get over a six hour period, they could make any one of those judges in any given challenge sound like Satan with a stick up his bum, even if they were more like an angel on Prozac in reality. From what I've seen of the challenges, they put maybe three or four comments from each judge throughout the show--and probably solicit those comments--and in a six or eight hour period, just four comments isn't very many to make. They probably get dozens, and pick the ones they want in the editing booth.

I couldn't agree more... it's TV folks, and I suspect that a lot of what you see is scripted (not to alter the outcome).. It is all about reality tv, and ratings, ratings, ratings.... So they just spice it up a bit, to capture the audience...

doughdough Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 5:42pm
post #80 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

Now that girl who had the birthday on a yacht - please! Spoiled brat to the n'th degree! Get an average person on there, please. They don't have to be sickly or living in poverty, but at least someone the audience can relate to. That episode was a joke.

You took the words right out of my mouth! It really made we wonder if she was a niece of some FN big-wig. Hmmmm...

I agree that FN can do what they want, I would just like to see more variety--the judges, contestants, etc! Sometimes I get confused and think, "Have I already seen this episode?"

Honeydukes Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #81 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbear

... I would just like to see more variety... Sometimes I get confused and think, "Have I already seen this episode?"

icon_lol.gif I'm glad it's not just me. I wait and wait until something "jumps out" and tells me I've seen it before. Plus they repeat them over and over again.

I'm amazed to hear they don't allow for breaks. icon_confused.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 6:49pm
post #82 of 92

I don't know about you, but there's no waythis old lady can stand there for 6 or 8 hours without needing a potty break! Not to mention the fact I run on coffee (probably the reason I need the potty break, but still...) LOL

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #83 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

You took the words right out of my mouth! It really made we wonder if she was a niece of some FN big-wig. Hmmmm...

I agree that FN can do what they want, I would just like to see more variety--the judges, contestants, etc! Sometimes I get confused and think, "Have I already seen this episode?"

I wonder if some of these people aren't ones who can afford to pay for a contest, or at least significantly contribute.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 1:24pm
post #84 of 92

8 hours isn't THAT bad! I just worked on cakes 19 hours straight the other day with barely a break.....

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:24am
post #85 of 92

I have attened half a dozen Food Network Challenges and have had several of my friends take part. There is an enormous amount of editing with all challenges. I will defend this til the end that what you see is not always what happens. These people go in with there own money and product. My friends Susan who did the Candy castles Chllenge and later passed way spent an incredible amount of time and money. When you see someone being a "sore loser" you would be upset also. i.e Bronwen is an incredible talent and she was portrayed terrible in the Simpson's Challenge. It is what it is....TV!
I have nothing but respect for Kerry. She is a huge part of the Sugar Arts World. If I wanted someone to judge me, I would want the best of the best. You are not judging them soley on new fresh work, but clean, Precise Execution and several other factors.

Honeydukes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:38am
post #86 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

... These people go in with there own money and product...

...Bronwen is an incredible talent and she was portrayed terrible in the Simpson's Challenge....

Do the participants get any compensation at all? At least their hotel and such is paid for, right?

Bronwen is a doll!! She's so sweet and when I met her at the convention I asked for a picture and she thought it was funny people would want a picture with her, but she happily obliged. I didn't see that episode. What did they do to make her look bad?

moydear77 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm
post #87 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Quote:

...Bronwen is an incredible talent and she was portrayed terrible in the Simpson's Challenge....

Do the participants get any compensation at all? At least their hotel and such is paid for, right?

Bronwen is a doll!! She's so sweet and when I met her at the convention I asked for a picture and she thought it was funny people would want a picture with her, but she happily obliged. I didn't see that episode. What did they do to make her look bad?

Hotel fees and travel fees are peanuts compared to the amount of Mise en place they have to do for these events. I know that most choose to drive because of all the product they have. Bronwen is a Doll! I just chatted with her the other day. She is very down to earth.

I mentioned this because the Magic of TV can really put people in a bad light. I take these threads a bit personal because I know some of these competitors and they have only been kind to me. My husband works in the industry and you tend to get a real taste of how edited things are.

doughdough Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:07pm
post #88 of 92
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

Quote:

Hotel fees and travel fees are peanuts compared to the amount of Mise en place they have to do for these events. I know that most choose to drive because of all the product they have. Bronwen is a Doll! I just chatted with her the other day. She is very down to earth.

I mentioned this because the Magic of TV can really put people in a bad light. I take these threads a bit personal because I know some of these competitors and they have only been kind to me. My husband works in the industry and you tend to get a real taste of how edited things are.

When I started this thread last week, my only intention was to open a discussion about the show and what we like/dislike about it. I hope everyone realizes that & doesn't take each other's comments too personally!

I would never assume that participating in these challenges is a walk in the park...far from it!! I only have the upmost respect for each & every one, but that doesn't mean I don't have opinions about them!

My bottom line is this: I love the show, but would like to see more variety of challengers & judges (definately past competitors who know what it's like!). I like KV, but I just get a bit tired of her sometimes, especially when she is judging a very non-traditional style cake & comes across as snotty. I'm sure a great deal of that is edited to make her look worse than she really is, but as someone watching the show it just gets old.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm
post #89 of 92

I agree that they need to do something to freshen up the show. I just haven't a clue what that might be! (That's a job for the network). As far as making the show revolve around a "deserving" client, I hope they don't go in that direction! I want it to be about cake decorating and design. And since I'm somewhat cookie obsessed...a cookie decorating theme would interest me greatly!

moydear77 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:36pm
post #90 of 92

Yes, everyone has an opinion. I compete regularly and know this to be true. It is subjective. I have judged as well. It is not an easy job. Style is a matter of opinion. Just because one is trained in a classic style does not fault them in scoring. For example picking out blemished fondant or un organized work habits. If something does not suit me, I choose not to watch it. I spoke with Kerry via email just today. She is an amazing and talented lady. My point is that She is the best of the best. I would want the best of the best judging regardless what style they do. I have seen her run the spectrum in cake decorating. Again, my oipinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%