Making Frosting

Decorating By mouse13 Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm by kbrown99

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 7

How earily can you make frosting for a cake? I have the wilton classes on Mondays and I was wondering if I could make the frosting ahead of time. I know you can bake the cakes ahead of time and freeze them but can you do the same with the frosting? I have a hand held mixer so it will take awhile for me to make the frosting. So is like a day ahead okay or is that to earily?

6 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 7

absolutely!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 7

Wilton says their class icing can be left on the cabinet for 2 weeks. I personally prefer to put mine in the fridge and have kept it for longer than 2 weeks in there. icon_smile.gif

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 7

Will it keep the right consisty? Like thick med and thin? If I put in the fridge or leave it out?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 7

Yes it will. It may sperate a little, but just stirring it fixes that.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 7

Just make sure to refrigerate it. I have a big tub in my fridge for last minute stuff. Never seems to go bad, maybe seperate a little but tastes just fine in the end.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 7

Since I don't make cakes everyday, I put my left-over frosting in the freezer in ziploc bags. It comes in really handy if I need just a small amount of a certain color. After I put it in the bag and seal it up, I try to squish it into a flat shqpe though rather than a big blob so it will thaw faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%