How Long Does It Take For Refrig. Cake To Reach Room Temp?

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 8 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm by Lori2240

Lori2240 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 15

I am making a 14X10X6 stacked cake filled with SMBC. I was planning on refrigerating it overnight because I notice it gets rather soft after sitting out several hours let alone if I decorate it Friday and the serve it Saturday night. I am kinda afraid it will be too soft to transport. If I refrigerate it, does anyone have any idea how long it will take to thaw... I dont want it too soft, but I dont want the filling to be hard either. Thanks in advance for any help!

14 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 15

When you say refrigerate do you mean freezing or just putting into the refrigerator?

Lori2240 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 15

Just refrigerate (overnight). Thanx

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 15

i wouldnt think no more than a hour or two are they all stacked together in the frig or separate have you ever put cakes in the frig before?? i havent but i need to this weekend but its only a 10in rd BC

Lori2240 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 15

I would refrigerate them stacked. I am only concerned because the SMBC gets pretty hard when chilled, I just dont want people to be biting into hard filling. I am also thinking of not refrigerating it (since it actually can sit out unrefrigerated) I was just hoping for that extra sense of stability that chilling it give me. Thanks!

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori2240

I would refrigerate them stacked. I am only concerned because the SMBC gets pretty hard when chilled, I just dont want people to be biting into hard filling. I am also thinking of not refrigerating it (since it actually can sit out unrefrigerated) I was just hoping for that extra sense of stability that chilling it give me. Thanks!

I have always heard that refrigerating them makes the a little dry, i havent refrigerated any of mine yet, but i was think of the pepperidge farm cakes you can get in the frezeer section ,do you wrap them in anything

Lori2240 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 15

I dont wrap the fully decorate cake, too worried I will mess something up. Just the fondant covered cake as is. When I am chilling the layers before decorating, I wrap them in saran and foil.

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:

I dont wrap the fully decorate cake, too worried I will mess something up. Just the fondant covered cake as is. When I am chilling the layers before decorating, I wrap them in saran and foil.

Does it dry out any that you know of??

sugaah Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 15

How long does it take a frozen cake to come to room temp. Should I keep it wrapped or open it up? Thanks

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

How long does it take a frozen cake to come to room temp. Should I keep it wrapped or open it up? Thanks

Its according to how big it is, and yes leave it wrapped up until completly thawed,

varika Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Heck, no! I just did that for the first time this past weekend, and the cake is wonderfully moist and tasty.

cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

Quote:

Heck, no! I just did that for the first time this past weekend, and the cake is wonderfully moist and tasty.

I guess i should ask if this is fondant or BC i use BC most of the time

varika Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:45pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

Quote:

I guess i should ask if this is fondant or BC i use BC most of the time

I froze just the cake, actually; I had to transport it to someone else's house to do the work on it. It was fine. I refridgerated it after torting it and filling it, and then again after carving and crumb-coating it with SMBC, and it was still fine. And that was without even covering it. They stayed in the fridge for some five hours, uncovered, and were fine.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 15

Ive had a cake sitting out for 5 hours indoors and when I cut it the filling and cake were still a little cool.

Lori2240 Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 12:08pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the feedback. Im hoping that if I take it out around 12:00 PM it should be good to go for around 7 or 8pm. I hope so!! Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%