Soy Substitute For Dairy?

Decorating By malishka Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm by malishka

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there,
can anyone please tell me if I can use soy based products such as soy milk, soy sour cream, cream cheese, etc to bake with, instead of using dairy milk based products.
There are so many wonderful recipes on this site, but most of them are dairy.
I like the idea of adding sour cream to a box mix recipe, but if I add the soy sour cream instead, will it bake up as nice and have the same consistancy and flavor?
same question for milk. can I add soy milk to a recipe and have the same result as I will with regular milk?

My cakes have to be non dairy, and it is so dang hard to get great non-dairy recipes for cake, filling, buttercream or anything else.

I would appreciate any kind of advice on this.
thanks.

4 replies
Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, soy substitutes in general works just like dairy. I would use unflavored soy yoghurt instead of soy sour cream though, and adjust the liquid content because yougurt has more water than sour cream.
Buttermilk is made by using 1 tbsp vinegar to 2 cups soymilk, let it sit for 5 minutes, it will curdle slightly.
Frostings can be made with soy margarine (has a buttery taste, unlike shortening), just make sure to add a pinch of salt and lots of flavoring.

It will probably take a bit of experimenting, but my non-dairy cakes are to die for.

malishka Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 5

Gefion,
thanks soooooooo much. Got any recipes you can share with me. Pm me if you want to.
How much liquid do i take out if I use yogurt instead of sour cream. Do I reduce the liquid by half or more?
And pardon the dumn question, why not use soy sour cream?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 5

Malishka, look for some vegan cake books. They use soy products and they are very good recipes

malishka Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 5

GrandmaG,
I haven't thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%