Are You Managing 2 Businesses

Business By DelicateDetails Updated 9 Aug 2008 , 7:26am by DelicateDetails

DelicateDetails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelicateDetails Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 8

I recently signed up to sell avon. In no way do I plan to stop cake decorating. I just don't have enough customers for it to be my only source of income. So I chose avon to help with this problem. How can I advertise both busineses to a customer with out sounding/looking pushy.

7 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 8

I don't think I would. I used to sell Avon, and quit because it was costing me money. There are reps everywhere, and several around me who offer 30-50% off every order, so I quit after two years. That being said, if I called you to order cupcakes, and you tried to sell me Avon, or vice versa, I probably wouldn't call back. It would seem pushy to me, and I don't like pushy sales people.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with Jen. When we were buying our wedding rings, the salesmen got pushey. He tried to get me to pick out something more expensive, while he pushed my husband to the side. Little did he know- I'm the tight wad icon_lol.gif . So, he lost our business all together. We went to the jewelry store across from him and have bought all of our jewelry there since. If they come for cake, only sell them cake.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 8

Hmmm, there is a way around it without really "advertising" your cake business. Let's say you have an event with Avon (maybe setting up a table at a local event, or an avon party). You can bring a small 6" cake that's decorated with Avon's logo, or little cupcakes with an Avon symbol (do they have one?) on it for people to eat. I would leave the cakes and cupcakes alone to generate the conversation - "Oh, where did you get that" - "Well, I do cakes on the side as well" and leave it at that. If they ask any further, give them your business card (Avon - that's what they came for) and tell them to give you a call if they need a specialty cake. I wouldn't necessarily do the opposite, and have avon sitting out when you're selling a cake though! icon_lol.gif

Just a thought....

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #5 of 8

I work full time for my regular job, and part time for caking and BeautiControl. I don't think anyone views me as pushy, because I'm not. My cake business is growing just by word of mouth ... I don't solicit anything for that, but keep quite busy with it, and have even had to turn down 2 orders this month because it was just too much. For BeautiControl, I present friends and family with the opportunity to host a spa in their home and I get more bookings from that, so I'm not constantly asking the same people to hold another spa party -- and I can book based on my schedule. Also, if they say no thanks I feel out why they really aren't interested and either solve the problem they had (i.e. if they feel their house isn't big enough, they can hold their spa at my house -- I'm mostly interested in their guest list, not the location) with holding the spa or say ok, and not ask them again. There's not many BeautiControl reps in my area, so I don't have the issue jen1977 would have with Avon. I don't know how Avon works with what you earn, but BeautiControl seems to be really easy and sells itself. If you want more information, pm me.

I think if you treat each business completely separate you should not have a problem. The only time I bring up the BeautiControl products with my cake customers is when they compliment my skin, etc... Then they brought it up, not me. That's not me pushing ... that's me answering a question/meeting a need. icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 8

I run my husband's firewood company, which is one of the largest in the country, so I'm very busy, with that being my "main" full time thing.

I never bring up either job, to either set of customers. Brides are never looking for firewood, lol. And I think maybe 4-5 of our existing 1500+ wood customers who I know personally a bit better, know that I do cakes. One is a retired cake lady herself (with a shop-ful of unused cake stuff I've got my eye on!); one referred me my first (and then second) wedding cake; and one got her hubby and her daughter a b-day cake. Other than that, it totally doesn't come up.

I used to sell Mary Kay, and I think there are ways to mention that you do cakes without hard-selling them. If you have a part of your introduction of yourself where you're talking about yourself and why you do Avon, or how you got into it, you could mention (just in passing) that you also do cakes, and you wanted something to make up some extra money. I wouldn't mention it more than that, unless someone asks, and if they do, you could just do like someone said and tell them to feel free to call you sometime, so you're not taking time away from the Avon presentation, etc. Just keep it brief and very soft-sell-ish.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 8

Oh! I like homecook's idea about mentioning it in the part where you introduce yourself!

DelicateDetails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelicateDetails Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 7:26am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the great ideas and advice. Now I just need to run with them and get the ball rolling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%