Any Ideas For How To Decorate A Devil And Angel Themed Cake?

Decorating By serenelui Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 2:44am by serenelui

serenelui Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 8:24am
post #1 of 24

Hi all.. i am suppose to do a devil and angel themed cake for a friend together with some small cupcakes but i'm drawing a total blank on ideas and her birthday is next saturday!!! Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can decorate a 9" cake with this theme? She wants something the cake to be covered in fondant and possibly some toppers made of gumpaste as well... heeelp!! Ideas anyone???

23 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:28am
post #2 of 24

what about FBCT? this image would work nice, or maybe chocolate transfer? white and dark chocolate?

or you could make a gumpaste/fondant topper and have them stand side by side. this one's cute

dragonflydreams Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:31am
post #3 of 24

. . . I love this image by Escher . . .

serenelui Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 24

oh wow cupcakeshoppe i love the photo you linked to for the FBCT... unfortunately though the birthday girl said she preferred having figurines icon_sad.gif I wish i could make the cute figurines you attached but it presently out of my skill level :p... but i'll definitely try it and hope it works. Thanks!!!
dragonflydreams.. i can't seem to go to the link you included... i'll keep trying though. thanks!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 24

the figures are too cute! i just googled them LOL i wish i could make something like that.

here's a bump so more people can help you out icon_wink.gif

dragonflydreams Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 24
Originally Posted by serenelui

dragonflydreams.. i can't seem to go to the link you included... i'll keep trying though. thanks!!

. . . you should be able to just click on it and it should take you there . . . you aren't trying to copy and paste the link are you? . . . is anyone else having trouble opening the link . . . icon_confused.gif If so, I will do it as an attachment . . . icon_smile.gif

serenelui Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:17am
post #7 of 24

hi dragonflydreams... think i had some problems with my server yesterday... finally managed to get into the link today... the design blew me away but i'm not sure if i can make it with my level of skill.. haha.. i only recently got into decorating cakes and am still using mainly fondant so far.. so i'll keep this in my ideas folder till i get better at my cakes. Thanks so much though for the link icon_smile.gif

SpringFlour Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:41am
post #8 of 24

I've always liked the looks of this type of cake:
Obsiously, yours wouldn't be that big, but you could use the same concept. Make one half white (angel) and one half red (devil). Then you could make figuines for each half, maybe leaning up against each other? Or, maybe just create a sparkly halo and a pichfork as toppers?

SpringFlour Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:50am
post #9 of 24

Oh, and I've looked at your photos and I'm sure you'll have NO problem with the figurines! Yours are SO cute!!!

serenelui Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:51am
post #10 of 24

hi springflour.. wow!! that is one gorgeous cake!! wonder how she did the 2 tone and if its all covered in fondant icon_smile.gif I like your idea though of splitting the cake into 2.. and doing a devil and angel figurine... heee.. wonder if i can take it one step further and do a half chocolate half vanilla flavoured cake... the birthday girl wants something cute.. so she might like this icon_smile.gif thanks!!!

NanaNut Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:52am
post #11 of 24

I have had this idea for a while, but no one to try it out on. I have wanted to do a small 2 tiered(8" single tier on bottom and 2-6" on top so it is taller). Small but lots of servings. Anyway I wanted to make the bottom tier black with fondant or chocolate transfer flames licking up the sides of the cake with a little red devil sitting on the edge with his arms crossed looking up over his shoulder to the top of the tall tier at the angle figure. The top tier would be a light blue color with BC puffy clouds all over the top and sides. I wanted to make RI "heaven gates" as the center piece. The angel would be on the opposite side of the cake from the little red devil and either praying or looking down. Anyway.... it is an idea I have had for years, but could never figure out where to do it and what for. Hope that helps. Let me know.

serenelui Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:58am
post #12 of 24

NanaNut i can totally visualise your idea!!! it sounds gorgeous and so cute!!! icon_smile.gif but i only need the cake to feed about 10 people though... would this be too much cake for 10 persons?? btw... how do i make black fondant? I can't get ready made fondant where i am and i make my fondant from scratch.. but i heard that too much black colouring added to fondant will make it taste bitter.. any idea as to how to make the black fondant without sacrificing the taste..

dragonflydreams Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:02am
post #13 of 24

. . . start out with chocolate fondant . . . then you won't need as much black to color it and it won't be bitter . . .

serenelui Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:03am
post #14 of 24

Thanks for the compliment springflour.. icon_smile.gif

Thanks dragonflydreams.. off to see whether there are any chocolate fondant recipes here icon_smile.gif

NanaNut Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 9:41am
post #15 of 24

Yeah... the smaller the cake the harder it is to fit a whole theme on it. Maybe you could put flames on one side and have them fade out and have clouds start to overlap midway. On top you could pill up some clouds????!@#$!@#$ Tough. Okay... so black fondant. I too make my own fondant. Black is a tough one. Everyone always says use chocolate fondant, but there is no recipe for it. Most people say they buy the Wilton ready made chocolate fondant, but it tastes so nasty I just would rather do it at home. I dont have a exact recipe, but I use butter flavor and vanilla flavor instead of lemon or almond extract. It helps with the taste. Another thing I have encountered with black fondant is that the more black you add, the more brittle and cracky the fondant becomes. My cure for this is work more shortening into the fondant. While it takes longer to dry for figures and things that hold shape, it doesnt crack or get that dried out gray look as it drys so much. If I had the time and money and a shop, I would order the satin ice black. so many people swear by it. I hope this helps you. Good luck and God bless you.

dragonflydreams Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #16 of 24

. . . yes, I would probably order black Satin Ice too, but if you can't . . . here is a thread discussing Michelle Foster's recommendations for chocolate fondant . . .

Michelle Foster's fondant recipe:

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 24

NaNaNut, i love your idea! it sounds so precious to me, so adorable, definitely a cake with a sense of humor.

good luck, serenelui and please show us pics! icon_smile.gif

serenelui Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #18 of 24

Thanks Tana for the tips on the black fondant and dragonflydreams for your link to michelle's recipe icon_smile.gif I've tried michelle's normal fondant recipe here but i think cos of the butter in it, it didn't work well where i am cos of the heat and humidity.. but i didn't know she had a chocolate fondant recipe.. definitely will try it out and see if it works icon_smile.gif
hi cupcakeshoppe... will post up the pics once i'm done probably sometime week after next though as her birthdays on the 16th of this month :p i'll let you know what the birthday girl finally decided for the design of the cake icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 24

Satin Ice black is definately the way to go if you have the time.
But if you cant you could try sirbrushing it black.

I like the flames licking up on the cupcake wrapper with the topping being a pitchforkor fondant devil horns, you could sprinkle them with the black or red sugar crystals.

Then for the angel take the powder blue wrapper or cloud wrapper and use the halo and then sprinkling it with the large sugar crystals.
You could put the cupcakes all together and shape them like horns and or a halo. Then each person can take a cupcake from there.
Definately post your picks I am so interested in what you go with. There has been so many great design ideas. What a great bunch of cakers we have at CC.

serenelui Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:50am
post #20 of 24

sweettoothmom.. i so agree with you icon_smile.gif I love CC as everyone's so helpful and got such great and unique ideas which i would never have been able to come up with icon_smile.gif
I want to try getting Satin Ice Black as well.. but can't it where i am and shipping it will take ages and probably won't reach me in time :p as for airbrushing i haven't reached a good enough stage in my cake decorating yet to get one.. :p but as the birthday girl is also asking for some cupcakes to go along with her cake, your idea sounds great!! Will put it to her as well and see if she likes it icon_smile.gif Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #21 of 24

I here you. I have to order all of my satin Ice as I live in an area that does not have anyone who carries it. It takes on average a week to get my order so I really have to plan ahead.

serenelui Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #22 of 24

Hi all.. i finally finished my devil and angel themed cake and the birthday girl was really happy with it. Not sure how to post up my pics here.. but i did post up the cake photo in my photos.. so you can take a look there icon_smile.gif thanks for all the wonderful ideas from everyone!! icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #23 of 24

I just peeked at your photos of this cake. SO adorable!

I have made a comment that I can see that you took the forums input and then made the cake all your own. I hope you understand that I mean you were inspired by the "CC Muses" and then using your own creativity you created a great cake.

so cute cute cute

serenelui Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:44am
post #24 of 24

hi sweettoothmom.. thanks so much for the comment on the cake.. and yup i was definitely inspired from everyone's helpful ideas from here icon_smile.gif couldn't have done it without everyone's help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%