Have U Ever Felt.......

Decorating By KKC Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm by tracey1970

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:58am
post #1 of 15

Like CC was just too good to be true or that u weren't good enough to upload pics on CC? Well first off, I was informed by one of my myspace friends of this site thumbs_up.gif Before then I just thought my cakes were amazing and then when I signed up for this site, I felt very intimidated icon_redface.gif I mean the cakes on here are just breath taking and my first thought was " I will never be able to create something that looks like these cakes and my little character cakes aren't good enough to post here" But with the help of everyone here I did what I thought was impossible, I sculpted my first cake icon_biggrin.gif And then instead of me saving other peoples cakes into my favorites, they were saving mine and leaving beautiful and encouraging comments icon_biggrin.gif I wrote a list of goals a month ago 15 cakes that I wanted to attempt to create and so far I've done 8 of those cakes (Chanel Purse, Pirate Ship, Victoria's Secrets Bag, Helmet Cake, Baseball cap, Bridal Gown and Dooney & Burke Purse) all in my pics. Words cannot express how grateful I am for the people whose pics I copied were so informative and helpful and generous enough to tell me it was ok for me to copy their work. U don't find most people that are more than willing to help u perfect ur talent icon_smile.gif I wish I could send u all a slice of my famous Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake along with a thank you card...but since I can't I'll just say Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

14 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:34am
post #2 of 15

I've never felt like my cakes weren't worthy to upload...there's always someone in the same place I am who can benefit from what I share. That is NOT to say that I don't feel intimidated or or...not the top of the decorator pile so to speak. I don't mind where I rest in the heap...

Sylvia Weinstock has been my hero and her work motivated me to experiment beyond my level(if not for her, I think I would still be doing star fill-ins...not that there's anything wrong with star fill-ins...It's just it's like needlepoint..a lot of work for even the smallest of pieces)

As for your work...I think you do a wonderful job!

Let me know when you get to the point where you can send out those red velvet cake cheesecakes...I'll pass you my address!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 11:43am
post #3 of 15

Kivia... your cakes are beautiful, and you should be proud to display them thumbs_up.gif Now you can inspire others, and may you never stop learning icon_wink.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 15

Kivia--
That's also why I love this site. My first experience with CC was I surfing the net, found CC. I looked for a long time before I became a member. I remember there was a cake pic I was looking at...it was all buttercream but was as smooth as fondant. Sorry, I can't remember who it was.
But I emailed them and told them how beautiful that cake was and that it looked just like fondant. Asked how she did it. The decorator responded with her "secret". I've been hooked ever since.

That is why I love to go to the conventions. There are so many helpful people there and everyone is willing to share.

I have 2 good friends that both own shops here in my hometown and just a few miles away. I am constantly asked about the "competition". Believe it or not, we don't see each other as that. Both ladies are always willing to help out when they can and I return the favor. There is enough business for everybody. What goes around, comes around.

BTW--your cakes are fabulous. Never feel intimidated to post a pic...remember everybody has a starting point and we only get better.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 15

Could you post or PM me your Red Velvet Cheesecake recipe? If you don't mind sharing?

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 15

Kivia - I agree wholeheartedly. I know exactly what you mean. I think I am you one year ago. I did the wilton 3d duck for a baby shower and had so much fun I decided to take the wilton classes, and am I ever glad I did. It was my Wilton instructor who told me about CC and I spend a lot of time on here, reading the forum, learning, browsin all of your beautiful cakes. I have only 3 pictures loaded on here, and they are very beginner, but I am proud of them since I put them on CC, and I love it when people leave a comment. I am so thankful to all the cakers on here who give us newbies support and info. I think its a great idea to make a list of the cakes I would like to complete in the next year... maybe I will pick 12 and do one a month. thumbs_up.gif

Now if only I could get my darn avatar to work !!!! icon_cry.gif

jnf1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnf1 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 15

would you share the red velvet? icon_lol.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 15

Thank you all for ur words of encouragement and your lovely compliments...Here is my reciped for red velvet cheesecake, I call it my Sky High Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake...a bit time consuming but the end results are worth it...

Hello, Here is the recipe for the cheesecake.... First I start by making a Red spongecake for the crust...

Spongecake Crust

⢠1/3 cup sifted cake flour
⢠3/4 teaspoon baking powder
⢠Pinch of salt
⢠2 extra-large eggs, separated
⢠1/3 cup sugar
⢠1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⢠2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
⢠1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring .

Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan (preferably a nonstick one). Wrap the outside with aluminum foil, covering the bottom and extending all the way up the sides.

2) In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.

3) Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high for 3 minutes. With the mixer running, slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and beat until thick light yellow ribbons form, about 5 minutes more. Beat in the extracts.

4) Sift the flour mixture over the batter and stir it in by hand, just until no more white flecks appear. Now, blend in the melted butter.

5) Now, wash the mixing bowl and beaters really well (if even a little fat is left, this can cause the egg whites not to whip). Put the egg whites and cream of tartar into the bowl and beat with the mixer on high until frothy. Gradually add the remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form (the whites will stand up and look glossy, not dry). Fold about one-third of the whites into the batter, then the remaining whites & food coloring.

6) Gently spread out the batter over the bottom of the pan, and bake just until set and golden (not wet or sticky), about 10 minutes. Touch the cake gently in the center. If it springs back, it's done. Watch carefully and don't let the top brown. Leave the crust in the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Leave the oven on while you prepare the batter.

Next I make the Red Velvet Cake from scratch (recipe below)...or u can use the Red Velvet Box mix by Duncan Hines (2 layers) Red Velvet Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 1/2 oz red food coloring
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon soda
1 tablespoons vinegar

Preparation:
Cream shortening; beat in sugar gradually. Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition. Make paste of cocoa and food coloring; add to creamed mixture. Add salt, flour and vanilla alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Sprinkle soda over vinegar; pour vinegar over batter. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Bake in 3 8-inch pans or 2 9-inch pans for 30 minutes at 350°. Let the cakes cool completely , for 1 1/2-2 hours (level cake and save scraps) and wrap each cake in Saran wrap and refrigerate.

Cheesecake

1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream

1)In a large bowl, combine yogurt, flour and cornstarch. Add cream cheese and beat well.

2)Add 1 cup of the sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla. Mix well. Pour over crust and bake 60 minutes. Turn off oven and let cake cool in the oven for 30 minutes. ( I wrap my cheesecake pan in aluminum foil and place in a warm water bath)

3)In a small bowl, blend sour cream and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; spread over top of cake. Return to warm oven until set. Transfer to wire rack and cool in pan for 2 hours, cover with Saran wrap and refrigerate in pan until its completely cold, about 4 1/2-5 hours. Place in freezer overnight or until u are ready to assemble the cake.

Now to assemble cake...

1)Remove cheesecake from freezer, let it come to room temp...

2)Meanwhile make Cream Cheese Frosting...

3)Now place one of the cake layers top side down and spread with frosting

4)Remove cheesecake from pan and place cheesecake top side down on the frosted cake and spread with some frosting.

5)Top with remaining cake layer top side up. Ice the top and sides of the cake.

6)Now with scraps from cake that you leveled off...make cake crumbs and sprinkle over sides...or if u have no crumbs you can sprinkle some chopped pecans over the sides.Now refrigerate cake, it will take about 3 hours for the cake to thaw enough to slice and serve.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 15

WOW!!! Your recipe sounds absolutely decadent!! YUM! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thank you very much. thumbs_up.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 15

I love the fact that I found CC and it is my little secret. I dont feel worthy sometimes because I dont feel like my work is good enough to even be on this side. You all are amazing. Kivia you are a sweetheart to even share you recipe. You work is really good. I hope you know that you are going to have to give up that Rum cake recipe icon_biggrin.gif I could use some rum right now. icon_wink.gif

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 15

I love this place. It took something I already loved to do and really helped ignite the passion. I don't have many options on classes around here since I am in a rural area, but being able to learn so much from the articles and forums here, I really feel like I'm not all alone to just figure it all out - which is way to overwhelming!. I always have somebody I can ask, and people are so willing to help.

I love CC, and people like you that have such beautiful work for me to aspire to copy some day!

allydav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allydav Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 15

I love that CC is for all skill levels. I'm a beginner and while I love to look at amazingly beautiful cakes, they don't really help me because I am no where close to being able to do that. But at CC there are not only the knockout cakes but simple cakes that still look great. I can get ideas of things that I can actually do as well as dream of what I will be able to do someday.

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 15

Kivia, I just looked in your gallery and your cakes look great! No need to feel intimidated thumbs_up.gif

I'm totally with you on how great this place is. I just stumbled upon CC a couple of months ago and can't believe it. I think it's great that everyone, at whatever skill level, can post their photos. I get ideas from lots of different cakes, usually some detail done in a creative way or some technique I havn't seen before. It's also great how incredibly helpful everyone is!!

Some days though, I wish I would have taken the warning in the top corner seriously... It's hard to get anything done other than surfing this site. I could just sit here for hours and hours icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:26pm
post #14 of 15

Kivia I know just how you feel. I like the idea of a list to aspire to -- not long ago the cake club sat down and we ended up with a three page list of stuff we wanted to do! Now I'm trying to focus on one technique a month -- do it over and over until I perfect it. I read an interview with Ron Ben-Israel not long ago and he was saying that he finds a flower he wants to do in gumpaste then works on nothing but that for as long as it takes to perfect it. Then he uses it in all his cakes that season. I'm taking my que from him! icon_lol.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 10:31pm
post #15 of 15

I totally agree! I hesitate every single time I go to post a pic, but then I think to myself that everyone started somewhere. I am still learning, for sure! I know that I will NEVER be able to make most of the cakes on this site. I save the ones I like, admire many more, borrow ideas that I think I can do (like a FBCT), and accept that many people are superb decorators whose work I will not ever be able to replicate. Your cakes are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%