Newbie Question

Decorating By alexamay Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 3:52pm by alexamay

alexamay Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 4:55am
post #1 of 4

So this is totally a newbie question but I was wondering how long the cakes that you work on are out in the open, so to speak, from when you start decorating to when you finish decorating and deliver. How long is too long? If it is covered in fondant, does it matter? Are there any suggestions to keep it fresh? Or do you make all of the small decorations first and then put it all together right at the end?

Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:28am
post #2 of 4

It really depends on whether or not your fillings and frosting need to be refrigerated.

When I use buttercream or fondant, I'm not putting the cake in the fridge anyhow, so I take my time. Three days is my limit on a decorated cake sitting out on the that point it's time to put it in the fridge or freezer or throw it out.

Usually I bake 2 days before I need the cake, and frost and decorate the day before I need it. That way if anything goes wrong I have time to come up with a solution. If I need to bake further ahead of time, I wrap the cakes well and freeze them. Freezing the cakes seems to make them more moist and easier to work with.

maimai16 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 5:30am
post #3 of 4

i'm also new in cake decorating though i have this simple flow that i normally follow.
1. i bake the cake at least 2 days before delivery/pick up.
2. then ice, make fondant and assemble on the following day.
3. if the cake needs a lot of decors(flovers, etc.) i make the decors a week or 4 days before to dry it thoroughly before putting it on the cake.

i read somewhere in the net, usually the shelf life of a cake is 4-5 days but i make it a point that the client will be eating the cake at least on the 3rd day just to make sure it is still yummy. when it is covered in fondant, they say it prolongs the shelf life BUT i myself doesn't consider this as an advantage. i stick to 3 days. here in CC, they normally freeze the cake to prolong thier shelf life, of course it is freezed without decorations/filling/crumb coat. and also, it varies on what cake and filling you are using to know the shelf life of your master piece.

hope this makes sense. icon_smile.gif

alexamay Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%