Pattern Cooked Into Side Of Cake?

Decorating By jen411 Updated 7 Aug 2008 , 3:59am by LindseyLoocy

jen411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen411 Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 2:25am
post #1 of 4

Did anyone see the Neelys Road Tasted program yesterday on the Food Network, Dancing in Denver? I only caught the tail end of the raspberry mousse torte cake that they made with the chef of A Grande Finale. I can't find the recipe or instructions for how they made the sponge?/pound? cake outside layer with the raspberry? design cooked? into it. The inside was chocolate with chocolate ganache with fresh raspberries and then topped with raspberry mousse. YUM!!!!

Food Network:
www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_rn/episode/0,3201,FOOD_31857_58506,00.html
A Grande Finale:
www.agrandefinale.com/proddetail.php?prod=GBMT0008

Where I started watching was after they made a pattern on a baking sheet that they poured batter over. How is this done? Does anyone have a recipe? It didn't seem like they "attached" the outside layer to the inner layers. How do you cut such a thin layer of cake and put it around the sides of the springform? I'm actually not even sure they used a springform.

I also saw another cake on their site that seems to be a chocolate pattern
www.agrandefinale.com/proddetail.php?prod=agf0044&cat=10

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:12am
post #2 of 4

The cake is a sponge type called biscuit (pronounced biskwie). You can find recipes and instructions in the cake bible and in many professional baking books.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #3 of 4

JoAnnB, You Rule. icon_smile.gif

Found an adaptation of the Cake Bible sponge cake recipe:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/SpongeCakeorBiscuit.html

HTH

LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 7 Aug 2008 , 3:59am
post #4 of 4

I'm not familiar with the "biscuit" version, but the cake used in the forms are usually a jaconde. There are several ways to get the design. There are expensive rubber mats that have the design which the decorators' paste (the colored design) is pressed into and scraped, then a higher rim to which the jaconde batter is spread into. It's a flexible sponge so that it may be cut and put around the edge of ring molds. You can do without the expensive mat and just use a silpat and a cake comb to form the pattern you want. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%